VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Aussies get of yer butt and write to The Daily Telegraph! They did a spread on 'special' diets yesterday and described Vegetarians as people who don't eat meat (incl fish/chicken) and then vegans as a sub category of strict veggies. Then they added another 'sub' category of vegetarians who eat - FISH AND CHICKEN! ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH

----------------------

I was really disappointed to read your definition of vegetarianism in the Food & Wine section in Wednesday's paper (23/07/03).

Your article firstly describes a Vegetarian as someone who doesn't eat "meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish, crustaceans not animal by-products such as gelatin or animals fats." This is a correct definition however you then go on to include a sub-category of people who eat 'only' fish and chicken as pesco-vegetarians and pollo-vegetarians.

This is incorrect and quite offensive to those who practise vegetarianism and veganism. Vegetarian's - as you stated in your article - do not eat meat of any kind. Anyone who chooses to remove red meat from their diets but continues to eat another form such as fish or chicken is NOT a vegetarian but simply an Omnivore (refering not to capacity to eat but preference).

As a vegetarian I find it difficult enough to cope with disparaging comments made by those who don't understand my dietary choice let alone have my choice - which is solely animal rights - watered down by so-called vegetarians who continue to eat flesh.

--------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
But aren´´t these the well known pollo-pesco-vegetarians eeehhh omnivores? Try to :))

·
Registered
0 Posts
haha

actually they missed a couple more categories of vegetarians.

i have one vegetarian friend who doesn't eat any shrimp at all.

another vegetarian friend of mine chooses to eat all meat except bologna..

then there are those vegetarians who eat all meat except SPAM.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I don't understand. What's wrong with the article? It sounds like something you should be proud of, getting more exposure for vegetarianism... Don't send complaints, sending them thank you letters!

While on the topic, you'll be pleased to know that I helped convince a friend at work to become a pollo-pesco vegetarian this week!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At Falafeluv

Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I don't understand. What's wrong with the article? It sounds like something you should be proud of, getting more exposure for vegetarianism... Don't send complaints, sending them thank you letters!

While on the topic, you'll be pleased to know that I helped convince a friend at work to become a pollo-pesco vegetarian this week!

Its incorrect that's what's wrong with it. I'm happy that they got the veggie and vegan part right and that they printed it but why include the pesco-pollo thing?
I'm all for more exposure as long as its with a correct definition.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
We should state clearly what we consider the border, but shouldn´t be to mad at the pollo-pesco-guys because we might change them.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

To the pollo/pescatarians- you're a "selective omnivore" or "In transition" !

Repeat after me and click your heals three times:

You are not a vegetarian !

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"I don't understand. What's wrong with the article? It sounds like something you should be proud of,"

---------------------

The problem is, you'll end up watering down these terms. Eventually, there will be millions of chicken/fish eaters who call themselves vegetarians and any real vegetarisn who go to a vegetarian restaurant won't have any choices since it will all have chicken or fish in it ;-).

The media should be more accurate (just goes to show how good some people are at the facts in the media)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
To the pollo/pescatarians- you're a "selective omnivore" or "In transition" ! Repeat after me and click your heals three times:

LOL Monkey&Bunny.. I feel the same way!!!

Kpickell.. you're right in a way, we should be glad that the article was about vegetarians, but they should've known what they were talking about before they wrote it.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
It seems like they did know what they were talking about. Pesco-Pollo Vegetarians eat no meat except chicken or fish. These are common, every-day terms, for types of liberal vegetarians who avoid meat but who consume other types of non-mammalian flesh. The article would have been eroneous to exclude them.

Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat no meat except dairy and eggs, but I don't see you getting upset at them being included in the article. This wasn't an article just about vegans, or just about ovo-lacto vegetarians--it seemed to be an article about all vegetarians including pollotarians and pescetarians. Is it against the law to discuss pescetarians? (not talking about the Vegan Police laws

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've now officially coined a new term for this type of "vegetarian":

V.I.T., or Vegetarian In Training.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If they keep making up these categories of "vegetarians", what's next? Pesco-pollo-jello-porko-insecto-vegetarians?!

Actually these people are not vegetarians at all, but semi-vegetarians. And semi- means "i'm sort of like this but not really, so i'll call myself 'semi-whatever' just so I feel special." I'm fine with semi-vegetarians, as long as they don't call themselves real vegetarians or put themselves in a "special category of real vegetarians".

·
Registered
0 Posts
i've thought about this and decided that even if they aren't vegetarian.. if they want to call themselves that then it's fine by me because they are at least still doing something for the cause. a person who eats only fish is doing loads more than a careless eat anything anytime omni.

every bit helps and if a person feels that's the most they can do at this time then they deserve our support regardless

and maybe if they call themselves vegetarian for long enough they will eventually grow in to it fully

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Falafeluv

i've thought about this and decided that even if they aren't vegetarian.. if they want to call themselves that then it's fine by me because they are at least still doing something for the cause. a person who eats only fish is doing loads more than a careless eat anything anytime omni.
That really depends on how often they eat fish. A semi-veg who eats fish once a day will kill more animals than a person who eats 2 servings of any meat a day, because fish are smaller than most other food animals. I've heard that the average omni eats the equivalent of 83 animals per year so depending on the type of fish, eating it 2-3 times per week may be more than that. Anyways, it's really very silly to stop eating one animal but not another. Fish and chickens aren't vegetables!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
kpickell, last I checked dairy and eggs weren't meat. Meat is the flesh of an animal. So saying "ovo-lacto vegetarians eat no meat except dairy and eggs" sounds like a trolling to me.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
They have my support, but not to use the term vegetarian. But I've belabored that view enough in many other threads.

Yay for anyone who cuts back on meat, but that's all it is: a reduction; it's not vegetarianism.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

It seems like they did know what they were talking about. Pesco-Pollo Vegetarians eat no meat except chicken or fish. These are common, every-day terms, for types of liberal vegetarians who avoid meat but who consume other types of non-mammalian flesh. The article would have been eroneous to exclude them.

Common, every-day terms? I have to disagree. Most people don't even know what the word vegetarian (truly) means. Much less this pesco, pollo, yoko ono garbage.

People who use these terms are simply trying to be trendy. If not, they would just say, 'I don't eat red meat.' But, no, here's how it goes - Oh, so you want to give up red meat? Wonderful! You know that makes you a vegetarian, right? Yep, you're a pollo-pesco-pork-gelatin vegetarian! Now you're hip!

But do the pollo-pesco-pork-gelatin vegetarians identify themselves as such? Nope, they simply say, 'I'm a vegetarian.' Thus, lumping themselves in with the true vegetarians who eat no flesh whatsoever. And then what happens? Your boss, family, and friends are horrified to find out you're not eating fish! No, fish? All the 'vegetarians' I know eat fish! How can you not at least eat fish?!

I'm sick and tired of explaining what a true vegetarian is, and that yes, fish DO feel pain, believe it or not. And, no, I don't want to eat the flesh of ANY animal, not even a fish. *gasp*

That's the problem.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah what Grain_Girl said

Why can't they make up some term for themselves though to seperate the fishy, chicky, spammy, jelly people?

Pescatarians: A pescatarian diet consists of fish, seafood, crustaceans and shellfish while excluding red meat, and chicken.

And the opposite for Pollotarians.

And people who just eat SPAM are called d-i-c-k-h-e-a-d-s. Heehee

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.