VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,turns out our little man does NOT like the outdoors! I felt awful about him staying in the garage, so we bought a little leash and collar and planned to take him on a short stroll through the front yard for a bit of fresh air.He would have nothing of it! The minute he realized he was outdoors, he headed for the garage like a heat seeking missile! Now that I think of it, the outdoors has not been a pleasant place for the little guy;all he wants is food and a lap. He's perfectly content to hang out on the blanket I put over the old sofa in the garage.
The sneezing is practically gone, eyes much clearer, the sores behind his ears and on his legs are healing nicely, he's more alert and interested in his surroundings and is grooming himself. He's getting prettier and healthier by the day, and looks quite dashing in his new red collar. I'll try to see if he can hold still long enough for a pic.
We're thrilled with his progress! Looks as though he's going to be OK!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I've already said this, but there's such a feeling of gratitude for being chosen to rescue and care for a living thing. He's the nicest little cat. I just came from spending some time with the little boy. We have our nightly routine down; I take a book and sit on the old sofa. We have our love fest, and after a few minutes he settles down in my lap and dozes while I read. When he's had enough lap, he moves to the blanket, and that's my cue to fill his food and water dish and make my exit.
Even though it will be great when he can come inside, I may sort of miss these quiet times.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I know I've already said this, but there's such a feeling of gratitude for being chosen to rescue and care for a living thing.
Nicely stated. I've always felt that way, but haven't found the words for it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Atticus is adorable!

I don't know why people are so apt to pass over black animals I've always had a thing for black cats. When I was a kid I always said I wanted a black cat with green eyes. (I also have a soft spot for brown tabbies, as my favorite childhood toy was a plushie tabbycat.)

The sound of his personality is what appeals to me the most, though. I hope to rescue a kitty like that someday. Any cat that wants lovin' will be happy at my house. lol

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
[Like] Ooops, wrong website. *Fave. Ooops, different website.
There we go. Right website. @Kai--When I was a kid, we had a black cat that used the toilet like a human. The cat was a lot smarter then some people...Oh, I hope that came out, right.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
sallyomally, I wasn't sure if I read it wrong or not in the other thread. Did Atticus ever test positive for feline AIDS, or did he test negative?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well, Sally, it looks like you won't have to worry about persuading him to stay indoors! I don't think he'll ever take you for granted, or fail to realize just how lucky he is that you went down that side street. I find that cats can be far more appreciative than they are usually given credit for ("Dogs have owners; cats have staff"... not necessarily.)

Thinking about what you wrote a bit.... I suppose we all get a feeling of fulfillment and increased self-esteem when we make a positive difference in the life of a being who clearly deserves it... but still, you might have walked away and not bothered. Like the old song from "Hair" goes, it's easy to be hard. You chose not to be, as so many of us here have also chosen.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Thinking about what you wrote a bit.... I suppose we all get a feeling of fulfillment and increased self-esteem when we make a positive difference in the life of a being who clearly deserves it... but still, you might have walked away and not bothered. Like the old song from "Hair" goes, it's easy to be hard. You chose not to be, as so many of us here have also chosen.
One of my most favorite songs. I just feel humbled that someone (God, higher power, whatever you call it) put it in my mind to turn down that particular street. We VERY seldom go that way.

He's looking prettier all the time. I will try my best to get a current pic up today. Thank you all for being so nice.

AMY: He tested positive for AIDS, with a slightly questionable negative for Leukemia. We're hoping for a negative in two months when he goes in for a repeat.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more week and the boy can come inside !He's crying at the door quite a bit and runs in when I open it after spending time with him. Poor little guy wants to be a part of the family. Jean Claude got a glimpse of him today and did a lot of hissing. Atticus wasn't impressed. He gave him this look as if he was saying "Hey man, it's cool. Just chill." The others are sniffing at the door and trying to figure out where the meows are coming from. I have a feeling the first meeting is going to interesting. Rhett and Abby have flair for drama, so I can imagine their reactions. I'll have to remember how to introduce a new cat into the home. I know I should start with Atticus in the carrier, but for how long? I really don't think he's going to have a problem- it's the others I'm concerned about.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
As soon as he's no longer infectious, take a blanket or towel out to get his scent on it, and then bring it in for the others to get used to his scent.

I never use a carrier for introductions - IMO, it increases stress levels, but that's me. Since I quarantine for 2-3 months, everyone is pretty well aware there's a new person in the house by the time quarantine ends.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I was thinking of sending along another catnip toy for the new kitty in da house, but since he's a kitten, he's not going to respond to the catnip right now anyway. So, we'll wait a little...

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I'll have to remember how to introduce a new cat into the home. I know I should start with Atticus in the carrier, but for how long?
I've never liked the carrier idea either. If you put "introducing cats to each other" into Google, the first few entries that come up are good. They're all a little different. Here's HSUS http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...g_new_cat.html
I like to use a babygate.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts