VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An email pointed me to this:

A pair of incendiary devices--milk jugs filled with flammable liquid--shut down the McDonald's restaurant on Mangrove Avenue for several hours Monday and drew a horde of reporters, police and federal investigators to the scene, where the perpetrators had spray painted "Meat is murder" and other animal-rights slogans on the property.

The devices, found by an employee earlier that morning, were dismantled by bomb experts from the Butte County Sheriff's Office.

A note claiming responsibility for the devices was left at a payphone at the scene, and another note was dropped through the mail slot here at the offices of the Chico News & Review. The typed note, attributed to the activist group Animal Liberation Front, states that McDonald's was targeted "because of their prevalent connection to the factory farming industry" and goes on to say that "the specieist attitude of the meat eating society also needs to stop

The rest (with picture) can be found here: http://www.directaction.info/news_mar6_03.htm

action took place on 03-06-03

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The McD drive thru in Canterbury was burnt to the ground last year. Someone stole a car and set light to it in the drive thru bit.

No one claimed it, it was thought to be a disgruntled customer...

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I always wonder if some of these cases are not someone else burning it down with a different motive, but they leave all that AR stuff to mislead police. (Not that I don't think AR people burn buildings, but it is an obvious possibiltiy)

Do most insurance policies cover arson from political activists?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Do most insurance policies cover arson from political activists?
If they do... maybe their insurance will go way up :)

I agree with Thalia... it could have been a completed non related AR group of people that just wanted to point the cops away from them. As much as I dislike Mcdonalds, I still dont think they should've done that.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insurance problems is an item.

In the Netherlands there were some milk trucks burnt, and people say it makes no sense because the insurance will cover it.

The company that owned the trucks said that (in their case) the truck where only insured for liability (like most trucks) and some trucks were written off, because of their age but still functioned ok. The loss the company suffered was a lot bigger than what the insurance paid for loss of turnover.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
How nice. Some little terrorists cost a legitimate business a lot of money.

BTW, in the US, vehicles insured for comprhensive damage would be fully covered for acts of political arson/vandalism.

However, if you are insured by State Farm, your vehicle *is not* insured in case of nuclear attack.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So car insurance in the US is different than in Europe.

Here you have three options:

1-\tliability; if you hit another car and its your fault then they will pay repair of the opponents car. Damage on your own car will not be paid by insurance. This is the most common form of insurance for vehicles older than three years.

2-\tLiability plus: As 1 with small extensions. If a three falls on your car you get some money.

3-\tTotal insurance: Damage for both parties will be paid. This is very expensive and is only recommended for cars up to two years old.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Virtually every insurance policy has an exemtion from responsibility to pay the insured, if the damage to the insured was cause by "acts or war." Generally, in the US, for an act to be considered an act of war, and exempt from insurance coveage, the President and congress must have declared war, and the act must have been related to that declared war. However it is not clear wether ex-post-facto acts can be considered part of a war. However I believe they can, that is, if someone attacks a village, and afterwards the president and congress declare war against the attackers, the insurance co may able to avoid covering damages caused by the attack, even tho it occured before the president declared war.

War sounds like it may be a good thing for insurance companies.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
1vegan what you are describing in Europe sounds the same as what we have in the US. Tame was referring to type 3. You call it "total" insurance; in the US it is called "comprehensive" and includes liability insurance, collision insurance covering your car if you can't get someone else's liability insurance to pay for it, and insurance for things like fires starting in it and rockslides smashing it.

We also have type 2, liability plus little extras like fire insurance, or glass breakage insurance, but not collision insurance.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spud

The McD drive thru in Canterbury was burnt to the ground last year. Someone stole a car and set light to it in the drive thru bit.

No one claimed it, it was thought to be a disgruntled customer...
Ever checked out the McDonalds' letters on Planet Feedback? Some of the disgruntled morons... err, McDonalds customers there come across as capable of at least being worked up enough to take such action.

http://www.planetfeedback.com

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Here's one I found particularly funny:
Quote:
I'm writing to bring your attention to a problem with the drive-thru service at McDonald's. The restaurant I'm referring to is at Across from St. Francis Hospital on Henry Tecklenbur Rd. (By walmart).

I went through the drive through this afternoon and when I pulled around to the "30 second guarantee" window, the clock restarted like always at 30 seconds. Well, that time went by and by my estimation another minute or so went by before my food was brought out. I had never been to this particular McDonalds before so I very politely asked the cashier what their policy was on the 30 second guarantee. She said "ummm NOTHING". I said, "no what I mean is, once the 30 seconds is up what do you give the customer". She replied, "Nothing" and just shook her head around and snapped her fingers! At this point, I wasn't very happy and said "what I'm trying to say is Mcdonalds has a policy and a guarantee means that if it isn't fufilled then I, as the consumer, gets something in return. She replied (in a whisper) "Look woman, if you want to get smart with me, then you can take it somewhere else" I then asked her name and she closed the window in my face.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Kind of like the person who demanded a refund for their nasty shake (but left no address). Haven't these people considered the fact that talking to a manager in the store or contacting the company may be more effective than posting a letter on the internet?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

Kind of like the person who demanded a refund for their nasty shake (but left no address). Haven't these people considered the fact that talking to a manager in the store or contacting the company may be more effective than posting a letter on the internet?
Michael, I think it's because most folks are usually all talk, no action. Most probably don't have the kahunas to go to the manager. I'm just guessing, but it seems to me that if a customer was unhappy, the manger, and not the Internet, is the first place to go.

Posting on the Internet probably fulfills a self-need for reassurance and agreement from others. People just like to complain, but are usually too lazy/afraid to make the changes themselves.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Michael, I think it's because most folks are usually all talk, no action. Most probably don't have the kahunas to go to the manager. I'm just guessing, but it seems to me that if a customer was unhappy, the manger, and not the Internet, is the first place to go.

Posting on the Internet probably fulfills a self-need for reassurance and agreement from others. People just like to complain, but are usually too lazy/afraid to make the changes themselves.
Yeah, I noticed that there are some resident commentators who comment on the various complaints, they make fun of some of the people. However, there were many people who complained that they had complained to management and wrote several letters with no reply. My answer to them- stop giving that business your money and move on.

I don't understand, if something pisses me off, I usually write a letter directly to someone in charge. Often the assistant managers of various places don't give a rat's a**. (in my humble experience.)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh. I recommend that everyone read all of the comments from readers below. You will laugh out loud. Apparently according to this me, mushroom, and others, in cahoots with a dead woman, have gotten CBS to take touched by an angel off the air as well as causing children to get propostitioned by homosexual prostitutes on their way to school. Oh, and the WTC bombing was my fault too.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Heh, I found that article, and some its comments, pretty interesting when you consider the amount of bloodshed and wars over difference of religious beliefs. I'll bet money that the majority of wars and terrorism in world history are "in the name of <insert 'god-of-choice' here>"

I'm talking religious extremists only folks.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Apparently according to this me, mushroom, and others, in cahoots with a dead woman, have gotten CBS to take touched by an angel off the air as well as causing children to get propostitioned by homosexual prostitutes on their way to school. Oh, and the WTC bombing was my fault too.
Just as I always suspected...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts