VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this and use this?

I have it at home, and my nonprofit group has it at its office. Now, the nonprofit group has a telephone account that is considered a "business" account. Maybe that is related to the fact that the voice mail works somewhat differently.

At the office, when a voice mail comes in, you have the opportunity to listen to it, and then you have the opportunity to save it in the archives. There is a voice prompt in the voice mail program that says something like "this message will be saved for seven days." After the seven days are up, if you check your voice mail, the archived messages are played first, before you can get to the new voice mail. And after an old, archived message is played, you get the choice of listening to the message again, or deleting it. That's it. No choice to save the message. No choice (after seven days) to get "envelope information" (like the number called from--and lots of people do not leave their number as part of their message or do not speak clearly enough for you to understand the number).

In contrast, when I get voice mail at home, I can archive the message and there is a voice prompt in the voice mail program that says something like "this message will be saved for five days." After five days, I get a voice prompt that says something like "the following message(s) will be deleted from the archive." But after listening to the old message, I am given the opportunity to save the message to the archive (along with the options to replay or delete it). In other words, I can re-save or re-archive messages over and over on my voice mail at home, but not in the voice mail at the office.

Why this difference? Does it make any sense?

One other thing is that I had not emptied out my home voice mail for some time. I got an e-mail from a friend telling me that he had tried to call me, but the voice mail prompt said that my mailbox was full. (I've never had a full mailbox before.) Now, this was the only way that I knew that my mailbox was full. The voice mail has a "stutter tone" telling you that there are messages in your voice mail mailbox, but no distinct signal to tell you your mailbox is full.

Why not?

Also, when I emptied out my mailbox, it took about half an hour. So I learned--for the first time--that my mailbox has about half an hour of storage. Why doesn't ATT tell you how much storage you have? Why is this a mystery?

Why doesn't ATT tell you how much storage you have used and how much you have left when you check your messages?

I have a physical answering machine (ironically, it was made by ATT) that at least tells you when you have four minutes (or less) of recording time left on the machine. Why can't voice mail do something like that?

Also, why doesn't ATT sell or offer to sell more storage capacity for an extra $X per month?
I buy extra storage from my ISP for an extra $2 per month; why can't I buy extra voice mail storage from ATT if I want it?

By forcing business accounts to delete their archived messages after a week, it seems they are denying themselves a business opportunity.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Unfortunately, I have AT&T service for my cell phone. I have heard the option to archive messages, but have never used it. I just leave them in my inbox and they never get deleted. But the difference between you and me is my cell phone doesn't get a lot of traffic. I have some very old messages, but I'm probably not in any danger of going over my capacity.

One thing you might want to look in to is YouMail. I haven't used them in years, but if I remember correctly, they are a free web-based service that handles your voicemail messages (they take over and cut AT&T out of the picture). I think one of the things they do is save your messages as .wav or .mp3 files (which you can save to your computer to keep forever).

Edit: in the past, all their services were free, but now they have branched off to paid-for services, too. But simple voicemail checking is still free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts