VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found out, this year at the asian festival takeing place in my town that there will be a vegetarian booth . At first i thought this was cool. but now, looking at the groups website. Im pretty sure its a cult. Why the people in charge of the asian festival are letting a cult in i dont know but it very much annoys me since i think this will give the idea that all vegetarians are weird, not normal, and that vegetarianism itself is a cult.

Has anyone heard of Supreme Master Ching Hai?

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
LOL, this is a funny incidence as just yesterday I found a website that suggests that (now that you make thought of it an issue), but I think in the case of this url, I think its just people being enthusiastic about asian culture in general
>> www.asianfanatics.net (not a site about the OPtopic as far as I know but it might I guess include articles on coverage of such festivals
)

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
They're a bit unusual, but I don't think they're a cult. The folks who run one of the vegetarian restaurants in Chicago (Alice and Friends) are part of this group. I've eaten there many times, and I'm not dead yet.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

I'd never heard of her before but she's certiainly led a very interesting life. And from what I've seen I would not use the word 'cult' for what she or her followers does.

Quote:
http://www.godsdirectcontact.org/eng.../chinghai.html

Shy in nature, The Supreme Master Ching Hai did not seek out students to teach. In fact, She ran away from people who sought Her initiation. This happened in India, and in the United States where She was living the unassuming life of a Buddhist nun. When She was "discovered" for the third time in Formosa, She realized that She must not run away from the inevitable tasks that lie ahead. She began sharing with all who wished to hear Her message of Truth, and She began initiating sincere students into the Quan Yin Method.

The Supreme Master Ching Hai's work has spread by word of mouth from this first small group in Formosa to many hundreds of thousands. Most of Master's initiates are in Formosa, because that is where She has stayed the longest. In recent years She has travelled and taught throughout Asia, the United States, Latin America and Europe. Many people from all walks of life, and from many different religious backgrounds, have made great spiritual progress with Her help. Although no formal organization exists to spread Her teachings, grateful friends and disciples are to be found all over the world, ready and willing to help others learn from their beloved Master.

In addition to helping countless numbers of people through Her spiritual teachings and initiations. The Supreme Master Ching Hai has used her boundless energy to assist those who are suffering or in need. In recent years, Her humanitarian efforts have touched the hearts and lives of millions of people all over the world. Master does not discriminate between suffering caused by spiritual ignorance, material privation, or circumstantial events. Wherever there is suffering, She will help.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it if the food is good. A vegetarian restaraunt near me employs peple who attend a certain church (looks to me like a cult...) But anyways, the food is good, and the workers don't act crazy or anything. Unless you are opposed to giving your money their church, then I say enjoy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I go to a Korean vegetarian restaurant in Chicago (Alice and Friends) that is run by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, and they are very nice people. They regularly play videos about ching hai that can be considered weird I guess, other than that they are vegetarians and seem to be very good people.

PS: The food is delicious

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

I have found out, this year at the asian festival takeing place in my town that there will be a vegetarian booth . At first i thought this was cool. but now, looking at the groups website. Im pretty sure its a cult. Why the people in charge of the asian festival are letting a cult in i dont know but it very much annoys me since i think this will give the idea that all vegetarians are weird, not normal, and that vegetarianism itself is a cult.

STAY AWAY! IT IS A CULT!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Evidence, please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts