VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Austin right now and the humidity is making it very difficult to breath with my asthma. This is going to ruin my trip.

I am on Symbicort twice a day, but should I just be using my emergency inhaler daily as well?

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with it?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Move? Oi, I think you're a bit limited in what you can do in these nasty swamp-like summer months. Do you still eat dairy? I've heard that this can make asthma worse for some. Do you have aircon and/or a dehumidifier in the house?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Humidity is my worst enemy! I would use my albuterol every 4 to 6 hours.
Definitly avoid dairy, and anything else that could possibly kick up mucos. For me that would include things like any chocolate, and soymilk. Go raw as possible, and get green juice-if you're on a trip try the bottled green smoothies like Bolthouse Farms.
Red tea (rooibos) seems to help too, I really love it cold.

Black coffee always helps tame an attack- hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
When I moved to Corpus Christi, my Dad helped and the humidity flared up his asthma (it was a mix of anxiety and asthma that caused the breathing issues). The humidity gets my asthma too. Honestly, I just stayed inside as much as possible. You can get an emergency inhaler too, that might help. I had mine and my Dad got one as well while in the area.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just visiting. I seem to be better now. I was really bad this morning, though. I was just miserable.

I do have my emergency inhaler, so I will use that if I need to.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Try not to sleep on your back or chest, I find that both these positions makes my asthma much worse.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Never go to Austin - noted.

I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately. It gets well over 90% humidity for about a month here in the summer and I just suffer through it by using the air con and my albuterol. I don't know about the other suggestions people have offered, but they're worth a try. Especially green juice - that stuff helps with everything!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Huh, that's so odd. My asthma is chemical, cold weather, and food/environmental allergy induced. I get asthma attacks and chronic bronchitis all winter long if I go outside when it's cold. Summer is usually better. I live in New England now, but when I was in Florida the asthma attacks were significantly reduced.

If household allergens bother you at all, try a hepa-filter.

Silva: does soymilk really trigger asthma? Never knew that! I'm allergic to milk protein, but anything else to avoid? (Besides like everything... because I'm mild to moderately allergic to it? Yeah about that...) And oy inhalers, nebulizer treatments, and other asthma drugs make me sooo shaky dizzy and completely out of it, idk how you use them daily!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
^Dairy, chocolate, and to a lesser degree, soymilk, just increased mucos production-not attacks.
I've been reading up on daikon radish-supposed to reduce congestion.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Really? I wonder if eating lots of daikon has helped me in the winter here. Cold air is an issue for me, too, but nowhere near as much as high humidity+heat is.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Can you get a dehumidifier?
Stay indoors with a dehumidifier or air conditioner?

From what I read about asthma and humidity, one of the problems isn't just water in the air, it's that humid air tends to cause certain kinds of asthma triggers like dust mites and mold. So, can you make your sleeping space extra clean?

My asthma is mostly triggered by allergies, stress, or too vigorous aerobic exercise. I find that it's best managed when I use allergy meds along with asthma meds (the combo that works for me is generic flonaise and flovent daily plus albuteral as needed) plus eating well and exercising regularly. I notice that my asthma always gets worse if I take a long break from regular exercise.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I am home now. I have to keep these ideas in mind for my next trip, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts