VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in PETA's list of animal products that aspartic acid, an ingredient that is used in making aspartame (nutrasweet), can come from animal products. Does anyone know whether or not aspartame is non-vegan? I can't seem to get any decent answer from the aspartame people's website, and as a diet pepsi fan, I'm kinda concerned.

Thanks in advance.

The Rev

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know if it's animal derived. Pepsi Co. supports Bull fighting so I don't drink or buy Pepsi products, but I think Nutrasweet/aspartame is in all diet soda, so I'm sure you could ask any of those companies. That really sucks that you went straight to source and they couldn't provide you with an answer. I wouldn't doubt there are animal derived things in aspartame though, it seems that we have to watch out for everything now. They can't just leave food alone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ahhhh!!! Now I'm going crazy because there was this sweetner my grandma always used and it was really good but I can't think of the name for it!!!!!!!

It's in liquid form and comes from a plant? I'll ask her the name then post it here. (I think it starts with an S)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siiani View Post

Ahhhh!!! Now I'm going crazy because there was this sweetner my grandma always used and it was really good but I can't think of the name for it!!!!!!!

It's in liquid form and comes from a plant? I'll ask her the name then post it here. (I think it starts with an S)
are you thinking of stevia?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

I can't stand fake sugar. Is it true that sugar contains charred cow bones? I read that on PETA. Has anyone else heard this? If true, is there a vegan sugar substitute?
That's not true. Some sugar is refined using bone char, but the sugar itself contains no bone. Get organic, unrefined sugar, and have a ball.

And, Lucky, why would you be so excited about Coke? Their human rights abuses rival the U.S.

ETA: Plus, they're completely depleting certain regions of invaluable drinking water that should be going to the locals, and putting it into drinking bottles to charge outrageous prices for it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The way I look at it, you can find almost any reason why almost any food isn't ok to eat, whether it's the company's business practices, the fact that it's bad for you in some way, or the fact that is may have trace amounts of animal ingredients used in it's production. Honestly if I tried to adhere to a diet where none of the preceeding could possibly be an issue (basically a vegan, locally produced, organic, whole-foods diet) not only would it cost twice as muc, but I'd eventually get very bored with it too. (Not only that but it would be hypocritical if I didn't extend those buying philosphies to ALL of my consumption patterns; clothing, medicines, personal care products, housing, transportation, etc.)

There are limits to what I'm willing and able to avoid in my life. So while I respect other people's choices to avoid things like Aspartame, and Coke and Pepsi, I personally choose not to. I do drink diet sodas sometimes. I do use medications and medicated products that were tested on animals, and sometimes even contain animal ingredients. I use a gasoline powered car. I buy Boca and Morningstar products. I eat at Subway, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Burger King, not all the time, but I kee it open as an option. Sometimes I even eat Velveeta!!! And I don't think it's that terrible that I do.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

The way I look at it, you can find almost any reason why almost any food isn't ok to eat, whether it's the company's business practices, the fact that it's bad for you in some way, or the fact that is may have trace amounts of animal ingredients used in it's production. Honestly if I tried to adhere to a diet where none of the preceeding could possibly be an issue (basically a vegan, locally produced, organic, whole-foods diet) not only would it cost twice as muc, but I'd eventually get very bored with it too. (Not only that but it would be hypocritical if I didn't extend those buying philosphies to ALL of my consumption patterns; clothing, medicines, personal care products, housing, transportation, etc.)

There are limits to what I'm willing and able to avoid in my life. So while I respect other people's choices to avoid things like Aspartame, and Coke and Pepsi, I personally choose not to. I do drink diet sodas sometimes. I do use medications and medicated products that were tested on animals, and sometimes even contain animal ingredients. I use a gasoline powered car. I buy Boca and Morningstar products. I eat at Subway, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Burger King, not all the time, but I kee it open as an option. Sometimes I even eat Velveeta!!! And I don't think it's that terrible that I do.
I hear ya. To be a perfect vegan would be impossible. I mean, even if you eliminated all animal products from your diet and your life, you would still have to buy your food, etc. from stores that sell meat, leather, etc. The fact is, meat and animal cruelty is about more than diet or what we buy. It pervades the entire culture. You can't not support it, not without utterly divorcing yourself from society...and if you do that, how can you influence others to help you improve society?

The best we can do is make things better, for ourselves and others, because we can't make them perfect.

The Rev

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I think people who eat Velveeta should burn in Hell.
j/k

Seriously, though. Sharing information and one's own views (or commonly held reasons for some views) does not imply that anyone who doesn't follow along is bad. Think of how defensive omnis get when they find out many of our reasons for being veg*n. I just got the same vibe reading your post, mosquito.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I think people who eat Velveeta should burn in Hell.
j/k
That just reminds me... once there was velveeta so old in my grandma's fridge that it had CRUNCHY parts! And they still ate it, just cutting those parts off!

Anyway, to get back on topic - I hadn't even thought to consider aspartame being not vegan. I probably consume too much of it on general principle, though. I doubt it's as dangerous as some people think, though I have cut back quite a bit.

I tend to use Splenda (sucralose) more. I want to try stevia sometime though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Maybe I was feeling a tad defensive. It just gets a little tired to me when it seems like every single food item questioned on here is followed with people explaining six way to Sunday why they don't/you shouldn't use that particular product. I imagine it might feel pretty daunting for someone just turning up, or lurking here, who's only just decided to stop eating meat. I feel like at least one person should present another POV, so newbies don't feel like everyone is/has to be so restrictive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts