VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Its really awesome, and if you harvest lightly the plants will last for a deccade.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I just started a patch last year and will be able to start harvesting next year. They require patience but are very low maintenance and would fit well into a permaculture type setup.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Homegrown asparagus is awesome because you can pick it before it turns into the tree stumps they usually try to sell at the store. When I lived in Montana we'd go out picking wild asparagus down near the Yellowstone River in the Spring and it was simply the best ever. I envy you your garden space. I live in an apartment right now... no garden.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Funny as in the weirdest way you'd ever think pee could smell! I've heard it only happens like that in certain people, don't know what it means- but I've experienced it. In normal amounts it's not bad, but recently I ate a whole pound by myself. Yes, my pee smelled shockingly weird!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Harvested enough asparagus for dinner tonight. I was delicious! I am soo happy to have asparagus in my garden and wish I would planted more.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I am planning on putting in a raised asparagus bed this year. Knowing me, I won't get it done until mid-summer, so I won't be planting until next spring. Long time to wait, but I am sure it will be worth it.
Definately worth it!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Funny as in the weirdest way you'd ever think pee could smell! I've heard it only happens like that in certain people, don't know what it means- but I've experienced it. In normal amounts it's not bad, but recently I ate a whole pound by myself. Yes, my pee smelled shockingly weird!
From what I have read almost 50% of the population experiences this, but it's actually a good thing because it means your body is breaking down the healthy sulfurous compunds in the asparagus that makes your pee smell funny and at the same time confers health benefits. It's a genetic trait. So... don't be afraid of smelly pee!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x40j232406450310/

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have just recently tried this. my parents bought asparagus from the store and i just planted the little white part in the ground and watered the HECK out of it. it is already starting to grow and sprout. just water it ALOT!!! they LOVE water! (don't ask me why but they do)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.