VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been drinking toooo many diet sodas, and I am starting today never drinking them again (or at least not much at all). Becasue I think from what I'm reading that it is troubelling my puffy look, my sluggishness, my horrible consentration, sleeping everyday in class--losing valuable info and lectures, and my hunger-all-the-time. My question is, how long should it take for my liver to get back to normal/be ok? I'm worried my liver is taking a beating and I do not want to hurt it anymore.

·
Registered
0 Posts
aspartame is evil. when i drink diet sodas or anything with equal.. I get really hungry and tired..and irritable.

i understand your question concernign your liver, but dont' know how to answer it.. my advice is that if you want to

keep drinking diet sodas, try diet rite, it's made with splenda rather than aspartame/nutra sweet, and it's really really good..

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Splenda gave me the WORST gas/cramps!!! I don't drink sodas, diet or otherwise, so I don't often encounter artificial sugar. I drink something other than water or hot tea I'd say... once a week, so I don't worry too much about my sugar intake there. One day at work, however, it was SO hot out and our a/c was on the fritz again and the doc bought some italian ice like things, but the fruit20 kind that was made with splenda and man I had gas pains so bad all afternoon I could hardly stand. Had them until later that evening when I got the runs. NEVER AGAIN!!! I was FINE before eating that splenda thing.

My mom was also using splenda for a while but found that it was giving her cramps and diarrhea as well. (took her a bit to figure out where it was coming from) I'd be careful of all sugar substitutes!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm definately not drinking aspartame sodas anymore, but I might try diet rite? Kind of scared to. But, I am really concerned if what I did is reversable? Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've never had any trouble with sugar substitutes. In fact, my taste buds have shifted so much that in many cases I prefer aspartame to the corn syrup that normally forms the basis of regular sodas.

I think the key here is moderation. If you've been hitting it hard and it's affecting you negatively, cut back on it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Aspartame is evil. Rabid, you're the first person I've ever heard of with that problem with splenda. I use splenda in place of sugar in everything I make, and I only buy sodas, candy, etc. sweetened with it. I wonder if that (stomach irritation) is a common problem?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Artificial sweeteners are used to fatten pigs. You ask howzat?? The sweet taste and not only bloodglucose releases insuline and the low level of bloodglucose, which is a reaction to this insuline, will make the pig hungry and it eats more. Works with humans, too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know that aspartame is definitely not healthy per se, but to be honest I have never had a problem with it. I'm sure I'd be better off without it, but I drink 5 - 7 diet sodas a week probably and have never noticed any sleepiness, extreme hunger, headaches, etc. While I know there are people who can't tolerate even small amounts of it, for me it is fine in moderation, like Fenguin said.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

Boring subject material will account for sleepiness in class. Blame it on To Kill a Mockingbird, not aspartame.
To Kill a Mockingbird is awesome as a movie, but I've not read the book. Heard it's great though. Maybe you should let some time pass and then read it again. Might have been the teacher you had that made it seem boring....

I never liked diet sodas, too sweet, if you can believe it. I quit sugar sodas a few years back, and the only soda I'll drink is seltzer with a lemon. Aspartame is a nasty thing. Check out this link for a lot of info:

http://www.sweetpoison.com/

I quit white sugar, but I'd eat that by the spoonful before I'd eat any of that aspartame crap.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ya splenda actually does do that in candy, it has a laxative effect, they even warn of it on the packages, its quite amusing "excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect in sensitive individuals" splenda isnt the only fake sugar that does this but as far as i know aspartame doesnt. mind you anyting in excess is not good for you. Cyclamate, and Saccharin both are controversial, some evidence of tumors in rats bladders but this has also been disproven at times, cyclamate is banned in the states but not in canada but it comes with a warning here that it should only be used under medical supervision.

although this of course is from a product site it is biased it is none the less about aspartame:

More than 200 independent studies in over 100 countries have found aspartame to be safe. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has studied aspartame 26 times in the last 23 years and has never identified any safety concerns. Leading health authorities including the American Medical Association, the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association have also supported apsartame's safety.

People with the rare disease phenylketonuria (PKU) should consult their physician before consuming aspartame in beverages or products.

Visit aspartame.org for more information on aspartame safety.

anyway needless to say the controversy exists for a reason and i belief that there is always too much of a good thing and I personally belief that aspartame has addictive properties but thats just me....

say

i found this after i posted it has a brief bit about each sweetener http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/Food...Sweeteners.htm

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPrincess View Post

ya splenda actually does do that in candy, it has a laxative effect, they even warn of it on the packages, its quite amusing "excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect in sensitive individuals" splenda isnt the only fake sugar that does this but as far as i know aspartame doesnt.
I am a sensitive individual, though I didn't consume excessive amounts!! One ice!! Thats all!

ohhh poopies.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I am a sensitive individual, though I didn't consume excessive amounts!! One ice!! Thats all!

ohhh poopies.
lol me too a few candies, or a little artificial sweetener and im done for. i can only handle aspartame in excess lol maybe thats why im addicted

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post

so splenda causes no ill effects? (i.e to the liver, ect) I like the sound of that!
not that they know of, but it is made by taking cane sugar and adding 3 clorine atoms to it to make sucralose, which is not metabolized by the body. so although to date studies have not shown carcinogenic effects in rats ... but human and animals dont necessarily react the same way all im saying is dont go out and eat a pound of splenda just cause the current studies say its safe. eat everything in moderation. anyway like i already said likely youll have cramps from today till next year if you eat a pound of it lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Artificial sweeteners are used to fatten pigs. You ask howzat?? The sweet taste and not only bloodglucose releases insuline and the low level of bloodglucose, which is a reaction to this insuline, will make the pig hungry and it eats more. Works with humans, too.
From the splenda website:

"People with Diabetes can Enjoy the Great Sugar-Like Taste of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener!

Sucralose, or SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, the no calorie sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and has been shown in studies to have no effect on blood glucose control or insulin levels."

I thought this was supposed to be true of some new artificial sweeteners?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not all artifical sweeteners are ignored by the the body - most are digested. The reduce the calories because they are sweeter than sugar and thus less needs to be used. They also tend to be digested only partly. Either way, there are no artifical sweetener with zero calories. [0]

Sucralose would appear to be the closest.

The best advice with the artifical sweetners is, unless you have some problem with sugar (diabeties or such), then you should minimise consumption. All the sweetners have side effects. It may not be problematic, but they are certinally more esoteric than the side effect of sugar.

Lothar, can you name the artifical sweetner your indicating? That sounds quite unusal behaviour to me, I must confess.

[0] Confusingly, the USA FDA defines a zero calorie food as one with fewer than some small number, but still more than nothing.

Postscript: Still wading my way throught the Sucralose saftey studies - there's over 100. Expect a summary in a couple of weeks or so.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I thought I remembered reading here that Splenda was really BAD, but I can't remember the exact reason(s) why.

Found this at http://www.sweetpoison.com/newsletter/august-2003.html --

Quote:
Sucralose (Splenda)

Sucralose (trichlorogalactosucrose) was approved by the FDA in

1988 as a tabletop sweetener and for use in a number of desserts,

confections, and nonalcoholic beverages. Sucralose is produced by

chlorinating sucrose (sugar); three chlorine atoms are substituted

for three hydroxyl groups. According to Consumers Research Magazine,

some concern was initially raised about sucralose being a chlorinated

molecule, as chlorinated molecules also serve as the basis for

pesticides such as D.D.T., accumulate in body fat, and are considered

to be carcinogens. However, the manufacturer Johnson & Johnson

has emphasized that "sucralose passes through the body unabsorbed."

Research animals fed sucralose exhibited the following symptoms:

shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage), enlarged liver and

kidneys, atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus,

reduced growth rate, decreased red blood cell count, hyperplasia

of the pelvis, extension of the pregnancy period, aborted pregnancy,

decreased fetal body weights and placental weights, and chronic

diarrhea.

In the midst of the continued controversy over aspartame, many

pharmaceutical and health food manufacturers - Pro Lab, Twin Lab

and Ross Products, makers of Pedialyte - have switched to sucralose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts