VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to direct you to a video that is likely the least offensive, most mainstream attempt that I have seen from PETA to share information about vegetarianism.

While PETA ads rarely make it to network TV, there is nothing in this video that you wouldn't find in certain types of nature documentaries. I have considered the content in this video, and whether it meets the forum guidelines, and I believe it does.

Reasons to be a vegetarian - by PETA

Okay, so with all that out of the way - how do you feel about the way PETA represents the vegetarian argument? Do you even care if other people are swayed (or not swayed) by videos like this?

Sometimes, I feel that PETA is far too radical in its information campaigns. As a vegetarian, very close to being vegan, I think PETA has an important message to convey about how we treat animals. That said, I know that many of my omnivorous friends find PETA videos, etc... to be very grating, irritating and elitist.

There's no doubt that there is an air of moral judgement in PETA videos and websites - is this the right message?

I often struggle with questions like this. The way I see it, is that not being cruel to animals, and not eating them, or dominating them makes me feel better about myself personally as an individual, but does not make me feel better than any of my omnivorous friends. I don't look down upon anybody based on their diet - but PETA messaging often seems to convey this very feeling.

I read an article a little while back titled "Vegetarianism as a Virtue" which at once seemed to be an argument about being 'better' than those that eat meat, but it in fact argued that the moral argument might not be an appropriate means to change minds (which presumes some sort of intention to change minds).

I don't know... I was just browsing through the PETA video archives, and thought about some of these questions.

How do you feel about PETA? Do you support their campaigns?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I think PETA gives all vegetarians a bad name. I actually have a Peta credit card (I like the piggies on it), but I wouldn't donate anymore money to encourage their insane behavior. I like their main goal, but the way they go about it is all wrong.

·
Registered
280 Posts
To be honest, I don't like their campaigns that use "sexy" images of women to get attention. The mass media like to objectify women to sell their products, so I get annoyed when PETA do it too, especially as they consider themselves as progressive. They should concentrate more on using good role models rather than models who don't really share the values but want some exposure by appearing in their ads (it often backfires, for eg. remember when Naomi Campbell wore fur not long after appearing in an anti-fur ad for PETA?)

As a woman, I am offended that they use sexualised images of women to appeal to men, to somehow convince them to be a vegetarian. Don't really understand the logic... I would respect them more if they respected people's intelligence a little more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have not seen this PETA video yet (although I've viewed others). Certrainly the ethical treatment of animals by people is a high ideal. It may be that PETA is too shrill in its message and this ends up shutting peoples minds.

As for the virtue of being vegetarian that is bordering on self-righteousness. I don't care for that and ahve never felt myself better than meat-eating people (unless they act like total jerks about my being vegetarian).

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Why do you feel PETA gives the impression that omnis are to be "looked down upon"?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Peta has a lot of great resources, and I believe they have done a lot to help animals. I do belive they are kind of over the top with some things (or at least some people who associate themselves with peta are). If it wasn't for them, I might have never gone vegetarian, then vegan.

That's the video I showed to my class during a presentation. The only part I don't like about it is when they said "It takes a small person to beat a defenseless animal, and an even smaller person to eat it." I definately agree with the first part, but the second part could definately offend people, and I don't think calling people "small" for eating meat is how to go about things, especially seeing its how most are born and raised and they really haven't even thought about it being wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm only saying that if PETA or someone else is trying to pass off vegetarianism as virtuous when compared to omnivory or carnivory they may be acting self-righteously. There may be very sensible arguments in favor of obtaining all one's nutritional needs from plant sources such as reduced impact on the land, water, fewer pesticides, fewer hormone contaminants, and so on. One could also argue that eating lower on the food chain is a good thing because less food is wasted in the plant to animal meat conversion and so there is more for everyone to eat. In certain circumstances that would be the right thing to do since letting other people starve while you feast on expensive food is considered wrong.

I don't know if PETA thinks non-vegetarians are to be looked down on but just ask most non-vegetarians what they think of PETA and I doubt you'll get a postive response. Some of that may be from media sterotypes but maybe some is from PETA's activities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
John Muir once said "any fool can kill a tree". PETA's "It takes a small person to beat a defenseless animal, and an even smaller person to eat it." is sort of in the same vein. But it does overlook the fact that humans have been accustomed to eating meat for millions of years. All those scrappers, hand-axes, and spear points found with the remains of Neanderthals weren't there to decorate the cave.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I think that PETA's extreme attitudes are detrimental to the acceptance of vegetarianism in mainstream society, which is whatI believe, the most important thing that needs to be done.

PETA's campaigns are offensive, and I don't think taht they make people want to become vegetarians.

Essentially, I believe that there is a cure for PETA. A big ol' can of STFU

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am someone that remembers the first time I saw a bullfight on the news when I was a small kid, and have never been able to get those images out of my head. I know a lot of people are turned off by heavy-handed information, such as the horrible things I've seen on PETA's website.

The thing is, if people are out there killing animals and abusing them without a care in the world, I think it's great that PETA goes out there and tries to inform the public. And true as it may be they may turn people off, I can honestly say I became a vegan after going to their website (and and others which were suggested by their website). I also then directed my friend to her website and she is now a vegan, and her boyfriend as well as mine are jumping on the wagon...

So. my point is. PETA isn't all bad.

When they send me their magazine I have to turn the pages slowly and sometimes have to cover up images with my hand in order to read the articles. I always enjoy their pages documenting all the things they set out to do and accomplished.

They can't be all bad

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree with WheeSaidShe. Yes, some things they do are completely over the top, but the whole world is over the top lately.

As for the sexy ads, just to clarify, it is not just women in the campaign, so they are in no way objectifying JUST women, though they may be objectifying both the women and the men.

However- I do dislike that the video says "it takes a smaller person to eat it". Yes, it does give people like me a guilt trip, but to some, it could be very offensive, and could turn them off completely to the idea of veg*nism.

I like Farm Sanctuary better, but I don't have a problem with PETA.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do support PETA, I have in the past donated, and am a member of the organization. As a member I get sent numerous magazines and other materials, when I first made the move to go vegetarian about a year and a few months ago they sent me a veggie starter magazine which was extremely helpful. They often send me pamphlets informing me of animal testing and factory farming.. I believe that it is good to be aware of this and will often write letters to the companies expressing my dislike for their testing practices. I believe that PETA has done many great things by getting the word out, encouraging new vegetarians/vegans, and stopping inhuman methods (animal testing etc) as well as exposing companies. I believe PETA has made numerous breakthrough , now let me say I also agree with the many of you who think they are some times too extremist with their advertising and campaigns. I think they exaggerate and make their way seem like the only way, I also think that they may contribute to vegetarians being less accepted in society.

All being said I think that PETA does great things and I continue to support them but I also believe that they are often to extremist with their messages and that so to speak "puts people off".

·
Registered
278 Posts
i think that people are so comfortable eating meat, that sometimes they need to be shaken up a bit. i just saw a really good video clip on you tube where the head of peta Ingrid something, was talking, and she addressed the issue of the media. I've worked for charities myself before, and I know that if you are nice and polite and have a good cause you often get overlooked. If you do something that catches someones eye, you get on tv regardless of what the heck you have to say.

I personally find PETA to be a valuable resource. Watching their videos is the reason I am going vegan.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
PETA has done more for the vegetarian movement then most groups and people. They planted the seeds that led me down this path, and they do more then most people on these boards or most vegetarians in general will ever do.

There are a few things they do that I disagree with, but yeah, I get Animal Times in the mail.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeans View Post

But it does overlook the fact that humans have been accustomed to eating meat for millions of years.
Hey, your right! Tradition does override ethics. I'm-a gunna get me a slave!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I think PETA gives all vegetarians a bad name. I actually have a Peta credit card (I like the piggies on it), but I wouldn't donate anymore money to encourage their insane behavior. I like their main goal, but the way they go about it is all wrong.
That's what is known as an "affinity credit card". Peta gets a fixed percentage of anything you charge on it.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Interesting first post.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.