VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a product's label says one of the following,

"may contain less than 2% of the following; milk, honey...." (etc.)

or

"manufactured in a factory which processes milk.."

what's your stance? do you eat the foods? ditch the foods?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
It depends.. if it says "Contains less than 2%", I avoid it because then I know it has some of that product in it. If it says "may contain traces of" or "manufactured in a facility".. I don't fret over it, because then it's a rather minute chance of cross contamination due to shared equipment. I have yet to encounter "may contain less than 2% of", but I think I would avoid it.

We're all different, and we all have different comfort levels. How you choose to handle this situation yourself (which is why I assume you're asking), is up to you

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
[troub]

Would you eat it if it said "Less than 2% human" or "manufactured in factories which process humans"? No, because you aren't a cannibal.

[/troub]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Less than 2%, no way.

Shared facility, in some cases, yes. Often not for milk (I've become sensitive to it and it gets me, ha), but otherwise it just becomes an issue of personal purity, not preventing cruelty.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

It depends.. if it says "Contains less than 2%", I avoid it because then I know it has some of that product in it. If it says "may contain traces of" or "manufactured in a facility".. I don't fret over it, because then it's a rather minute chance of cross contamination due to shared equipment. I have yet to encounter "may contain less than 2% of", but I think I would avoid it.
I think that's probably the most common stance vegans take. The later is put there for people who are extremely allergic, so even Soy Delicious ice cream has that warning even though the product is completely vegan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah haha actually the product that spurred this question were my vegan soy crisps. that's why i was so surprised to see that it had a warning about the factory processing milk.

thanks for answering guys

·
Registered
684 Posts
I avoid "Less than 2%" because I know the product was made with it. I do eat things that are "processed in the same factory as" because 1. The machines are usually very well cleaned and there is little to no chance of the milk/honey/ etc. actually being in the product. 2. I'm still new to veganism, and I may cut these things out eventually, but right now it's too hard, especially because I still live with my parents.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
2% is a lot. A cup of coffe would have "less that 2% coffee solids" in it if you think about it, but it's still coffee. "Manufactured on" or "processed in the same factory" I'm fine with.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

I feel exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't eat meat, and if it said it "may contain 2% beef" I'd skip it; this isn't a whole lot different. So I'd 100% take a pass.

There's enough food with 0% milk, honey, etc I can eat so there would be no compelling reason for me to need to buy something with animal ingredients of any percentage.

But to each his own.

I do buy one product fairly frequently that says it's made in a facility that manufactures eggs or some-such. So I guess that answers my stance on that one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

Same here.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

[troub]

Would you eat it if it said "Less than 2% human" or "manufactured in factories which process humans"? No, because you aren't a cannibal.

[/troub]

My name is troub, and I approve of this message.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I do buy one product fairly frequently that says it's made in a facility that manufactures eggs or some-such. So I guess that answers my stance on that one.
Is "a facility that manufactures eggs" a chicken?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I don't eat anything that says "less than 2%", because I assume that the ingredient is being deliberately added.

I will eat from factories that use nonvegan ingredients. They at least attempt to clean the machines between items, but more importantly, they're not contributing to the demand for nonvegan ingedients by making my product.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I suppose then, that I should never eat anything from a factory again if I would be concerned about "processed in a facility that processes humans" or a more accurate analogy would be "processed in a facility that processes human saliva".

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm not a perfect vegan, as I occasionally follow zoebird's advice & eat something vegetarian with cholesterol in it when I feel really depressed, but I otherwise 99.9% of the time avoid things that list any dairy or egg ingredients.

I don't worry about "processed in a plant with..." warnings.

But again, I'm not perfect....

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

I'm not a perfect vegan, as I occasionally follow zoebird's advice & eat something vegetarian with cholesterol in it when I feel really depressed, but I otherwise 99.9% of the time avoid things that list any dairy or egg ingredients.

I don't worry about "processed in a plant with..." warnings.

But again, I'm not perfect....
You should probably change that to "As vegetarian as a guinea pig" or something else that sometimes eats animal products. No matter your reason for doing it, and nobody is bashing you for doing it, eating animal products defeats the point of veganism.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts