VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was to show that it is possible to get 1000mg of calcium daily without a supplement, soy, dairy or fortified foods. You can also see that the menu is low in fat, high in fiber, oodles of protein and healthy carbs and still has a lot of room for extra calories. I also made note of the vitamins missing in the menu, so you can add those in, if you choose to try it out.

The main thing for calcium is to get enough protein (but not too much), limit sodium and caffeine to respectable levels, get enough Vit D, be active. This will all help you development stronger bones. After 30-35, you will start losing calcium in your bones, so it's important to get as much as you can, and then (once you reach your 30s), to work on KEEPING the calcium you have. Thankfully, you keep it all the same ways as you gain it

Yes, I push the calcium thing a lot. In Canada, 30-40% of women do not get enough calcium, even though they think they do. And those that do, often get it from full-fat cheese and full-fat milk, which is doing little for their hearts and waistline. I'm hopig that I become so much of a broken record that everyone will remember calcium rich foods with their meals because they hear me going on and on and on and on...........

You love it, admit it

Krista

The calcium list (soy and dairy free)

Breakfast:

2 ww slices toast w/ 2 tbsp almond butter (90mg), 2 tsp blackstrap molasses (110mg)

1 orange (50mg)

1/2 cup baked beans in tomato sauce (60mg)

Lunch:

1 cup chickpeas (80mg)

3 cups mixed greens salad (90mg) w/ 1 grated medium carrot (20mg)

Supper:

2 cups cooked broccoli (140mg)

2 cup cooked kale (180mg)

Soup w/ 1/2 cup pinto beans (50mg)

Snacks:

5 dried figs (90mg)

2 tbsp hummus (20mg), 1/2 cup raw broccoli (20mg), 1 cup cauliflower (20mg)

Totals:

1420 calories

30g fat (22%)

257g carb (60%)

60g pro (18%)

64g fiber

1000mg calcium

You'll still need Vit D, B-12, and a little more niacin.

It is bulky, but I've eaten it and it is quite tasty. Make sure to drink lots of water with it, or you'll never be able to go to the bathroom LOL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Excellent post. I just bought a program called Nutibase and I noticed that my intake of calcium was adequate, but the soy products had excessive amounts of phosphorous. The calcium to phosphorous ratio should be at least 1.1 to 1, some experts reccomend 3 to 1.

·
Registered
780 Posts
kristadb;

Yep, that's a great post. The only thing I would like to add is there are some Asian greens that are great sources of calcium. I don't see them mentioned much so I'll mention them here.

All the values given below are for a 1/2 cup servings.

Kale (for comparison) has 30 mg absorbable calcium.

Chinese cabbage (bok choy or pak choi) has 42 mg absorbable calcium. It has a nice taste.

Chinese mustard greens (gai choy) has 85 mg absorbable calcium. It's bitter, so I don't like it myself but my wife loves it.

Chinese flowering cabbage (yu choy) has 95 mg absorbable calcium. I love it's taste; it takes a little longer to clean than some other greens though.

These greens are fairly inexpensive and you can find then in Asian stores.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I should have added in this post that I choose the greens that are cheap for me locally. Boy coy is $4 per small buddle (1 person meal size, if that), so it's an impractical vegetable here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeah, it makes sense to use whatever is inexpensive where you live and to use what is in season. Where I live, (Tucson Arizona) I can usually get pak choy for 39 to 49 cents (US) per pound. There's a large international market close to where I live and there are several Asian markets here, so I have no trouble finding these things.

Anyway, I was looking for an opportunity to mention these vegetables because I hardy ever see them mentioned on vegetarian web sites. I just wanted to let people know that they exist and are very good sources of calcium. We have been eating these greens for years but only recently discovered that they are great sources of calcium.

·
Registered
65 Posts
this is a wonderful post! thank you!

I'm so tired of people worrying about my calcium level, somehow everyone thinks calcium only comes from drinking milk or eating yogurt....

now I have some real numbers to give people. I eat all the stuff you mention all the time, especially almonds & almond butter, my favorite! I do eat bok choy and stuff when I make chinese-style meals. I also eat a lot of collard greens, I thought this had a lot of calcium too? anybody know how much?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElf View Post

Excellent post. I just bought a program called Nutibase and I noticed that my intake of calcium was adequate, but the soy products had excessive amounts of phosphorous. The calcium to phosphorous ratio should be at least 1.1 to 1, some experts reccomend 3 to 1.
No problem on a veg*an diet. Some meats have a ratio of 1:>60!!! I´ll always tell my osteoporotic patients, they should drop the meat. And then they come up with dairy products and I tell then that milk also has a bad ratio.

Krista: I would have liked if you´d put in less proteins, because they leek the calcium out of the body though I´ve heard that animal protein does it even more than plant protein.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plant protein is better then the meat protein for the leeching; kinda got to keep the balance. Still, 60g of protein isn't too bad.

Sodium is by far the worse leecher, though. It is evil; crust straight from Satan's teet.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

The plant protein is better then the meat protein for the leeching; kinda got to keep the balance. Still, 60g of protein isn't too bad.

Sodium is by far the worse leecher, though. It is evil; crust straight from Satan's teet.
I agree, 60g is all right, I was more lookibg at the 18%. Most studies come out with vegans taking around 12%, which still is more than needed. So your example demonstrates no room for arguments like where do get your protein?

And count coffee or any caffeine-drinks as leechers, too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

I agree, 60g is all right, I was more lookibg at the 18%. Most studies come out with vegans taking around 12%, which still is more than needed. So your example demonstrates no room for arguments like where do get your protein?

And count coffee or any caffeine-drinks as leechers, too.
right! caffeine in general is very bad for calcium levels.

No, there is absolutely no excuse for the protein, iron, calcium arguments...as I like to whip this handy baby out on those days.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

No, there is absolutely no excuse for the protein, iron, calcium arguments...as I like to whip this handy baby out on those days.
You speak my language!

While reading something else I found a good ratio of Ca to protein, it should be 16 mg Ca to 1 g of protein. So your 1000 mg Ca / 60 g of protein is perfect. Most omnis only get 9-12/1.

Source: RP Heany: Protein intake and teh calcium economy, J Am Diet Assoc 93: 1259-60 (1993).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice, considering chick peas, hummus and kale are part of an almost everyday diet for me.

I use kale and hummus on my veggie sandwiches for lunch 5 days a week. Chick peas are so versatile (falafel, in various salads, chick pea soup, chick peas & brown rice etc.) that I eat them one way or another several times a week.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a male, you don't need as much calcium as a female, but you still need some! Chickpeas and kale are very good sources - not to mention, eating them gets you iron, zinc and folate as well!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts