VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If, yes. How much time and thought do you put into recyling etc. Do you use cloth napkins? Do you donate your 'old stuff'? Do you try to buy used clothes? etc. I'm Just curious to know what other vegans here are doing in relation to recycling etc.!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Long before I was ever veg*n, I was into this sort of thing. I do not do the blue bag recycle thing (I admitted this as my secret confession in another thread long ago), but I was raised to be frugal and resourceful, so reduce and reuse comes naturally to me. The Tighwad Gazzette by Amy Dacyczyn (pronounced like "decision") gives lots of wonderful ideas on how to do this. I have given some examples in the money saving thread Avalon started.<br><br><br><br>
In general, I frown on buying disposable stuff, but there are some things I use for the sake of sanitation (like paper towels). Some of the "disposables" I have, I reuse. Like at work I wash and reuse the plastic cups and silverware we use for lunch.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I recycle rubbish. I buy mostly second hand clothes, [but not underwear]<br><br>
I have a lot of second hand furniture and furnishings, but not all, most of my china and glassware is second hand.<br><br><br><br>
But, I loathe those low energy light bulbs that make everything look yellowy lurid. I've got one only, in my hallway, and I shall be glad when it's 5000 hours is up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recycle and compost everything we can. We go as far as cleaning and storing our glass and plastic to smuggle to PoesÃ*a's mothers town.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I recycle, but perhaps not as much as I could. I am going to start composting this summer. I have been shopping at health food stores, and am buying recycled products that are good for the environment.<br><br><br><br>
We are not the type to use second hand stuff like clothes and furniture, but we do donate tons of stuff to Goodwill every year.<br><br><br><br>
I was very conscious of these issues back in college, but after making alot of money you tend to lose touch with your ideals. Don't worry, I'm heading back to those ideals. I'm consciously buying enviro-friendly, cruelty-free products, and will look into the concept of re-using more often.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Spud, when you say low-energy bulb do you mean the spiral fluorescent ones? I used to use those, but now I use "full spectrum" bulbs. I would definitely use low-energy ones in rooms I'm not in very often though.<br><br><br><br>
I recycle as much as I can, even though they don't pick up at my house. I just take it over to my mom's house. I have plastic flatware that I reuse, but most of the time I have enough (clean) silverware that I don't have to use plastic. I love thrift stores, for being used and because it's cheap. Incidentally though, I've been wearing the same clothes for like five years (don't worry, I wash them).

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My low energy bulb is like 3 U shapes and not much bigger than an ordinary cheapo light bulb. It had a deceivingly pink look to it in the store, but when I got it home it was horrible. My seagrass mat looks almost green, my white gloss paint looks yellow.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
My main thing is refusing plastic bags at stores. I'll only get one if I don't have my backpack, or if it was impossible for me to carry the stuff (and even then I'll get the least number of bags I can manage with). At the local supermarket most of them know by now so rarely ever start to place my purchases in a bag.<br><br><br><br>
Some supermarkets (not this one, yet) are trialling plastic bag free checkout lanes.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Tommy Gun</i><br><br><b>Spud, when you say low-energy bulb do you mean the spiral fluorescent ones? I used to use those, but now I use "full spectrum" bulbs. I would definitely use low-energy ones in rooms I'm not in very often though.<br><br></b></div>
</div>
<br>
Yes, those full spectrum flourescents are harder to find and more expensive, but they are well worth it. Not only do they look nicer, but they may decrease seasonal depression if bright enough.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thalia, the full spectrum bulbs that I have now aren't fluorescent. I have never seen them in stores. The ones that I have are "normal" bulbs, but full spec. I would really like to get fluor-full-spec bulbs, but don't know where to find them. I'll have to look online or something.<br><br><br><br>
I totally forgot to mention that yes, I take my own bag to the grocery store. At Trader Joe's they sell some heavy-duty bags, so I bought one and drew a bunch of Vegan slogans all over it. :) If I forget to bring it and have to get bags, then I just use those as trash bags later.<br><br><br><br>
At Jewel (grocery store), they have "plastic bag recycling." Does anyone have any info on this? Is it legit? What's the deal? Do they actually melt them down and make more bags...or something? Make something else? Is it all a lie?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by spud</i><br><br><b>I recycle rubbish. I buy mostly second hand clothes, [but not underwear]<br><br>
I have a lot of second hand furniture and furnishings, but not all, most of my china and glassware is second hand.<br><br><br><br>
But, I loathe those low energy light bulbs that make everything look yellowy lurid. I've got one only, in my hallway, and I shall be glad when it's 5000 hours is up.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I hate those lightbulbs too... and mine didn't even last 5000 hours. It lasted about 6 months.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
If I'm just getting one or two items like cd's or something than I won't take a bag and I recycle the receipt but if I do take a bag I save them and drop them off at Wal Mart. I'm not sure what they actually do with them. I think they recycle them somehow.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It is hard where we live...we take stuff to the dump, only to watch it become unsorted. We feed food scraps to our animals and I really just don't buy much packaged food.<br><br><br><br>
When we lived in CO, we put out one or two cans a week and that was with two kids in diapers, while our neighbors with one or two kids would put out 4 every week.<br><br><br><br>
I think we make a lot less trash now... cause we buy so much in bulk.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
reduce,<br><br>
reuse<br><br>
recycle,<br><br><br><br>
Yep, almost all of it.<br><br><br><br>
I dont understand why people use paper handkerchiefs, mine are cotton. Same goes for towels.<br><br>
I buy vegetables in a health shop, and put them in the paper bag that is supplied by the store.<br><br>
Once in a while Ill take my old paper bags back so I and other people can reuse them.<br><br><br><br>
Ive got green energy; electricity made with solar cells and windmills from the energy company.<br><br>
Most likely we are gonna have our own solar cells this year.<br><br><br><br>
If I find a battery on the street, I take it home and make sure its deposed of in the right way.

·
Banned
559 Posts
hell yes and i get pretty damn pissed at people who don't. their most often used excuse is that they dont have time. dorks.<br><br><br><br>
90 percent of my clothes are from thrift shops. i use cloth napkins, recycle anything that is possible, rarely buy prepackaged crap, dont use much energy or water. i reuse the plastic bags i do have numerous times or use them for kitty litter. i carry my own cloth bags or backpack to the grocery store or other stores. i drive as little as i can, i pick up trash if i see it, etc...the list goes on. i'm pretty damn passionate about that kinda stuff. when i 'settle down' i hope to have most of what i need as solar powered and the like.<br><br><br><br>
to those of you who do not put any effort into minimizing your negative impact on the already f'ed up planet - why not?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funkified -I totally agree with you, i'm just too reserved to be as blunt as you. I also use only cloth napkins and cloth 'paper' towels. I also recycle everything!!! My partner and i love public transport too. It's so funny when friends come over and if i give them a cloth napkin they will say, "oh i don't want to dirty your cloth, may i have a paper napkin instead;" I just want to scream!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Napkin? As in serviette? Oh god we just wipe our mouth on the back of our hand or lick our lips.<br><br>
Guess we're uncouth, but licking the plate clean does save water on the washing up.<br><br>
Dishwasher machines...aghh....

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Funkified</i><br><br><b>to those of you who do not put any effort into minimizing your negative impact on the already f'ed up planet - why not?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I probably don't recycle because I don't know anything about it.<br><br><br><br>
I also don't know what ramifications it has on our environment by not recycling.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts