VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you probably avoid these so I'm curiuos what your thoughts are. I've been drinking this fruit-flavored water that's sweetened with Splenda. I usually have a few a day. I don't know a whole lot about it but some of what I've read is kind of scary. Hard to know what to believe though. And every so often I'll have a Diet Coke or Diet Vanilla Coke. Not even sure what those are sweetened with, aspartheme maybe?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Agh. Aspartame. I used to drink a gallon of diet coke a day , I was totally addicted. Last year I got really ill and by chance found out about aspartame.

IT'S HORRIBLE. There are a zillion web pages on the evils of aspartame. I gave it up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What's wrong with aspartame and other artificial sweeteners?

I normally use Sweet'n Low, but not often. I keep meaning to try and bake a cake with it, but I'm lazy. Anyone have experience with baking with artificial sweeteners?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
0 Posts
I intensely dislike sweet and low because I had a bad reaction to it a few times. I drink diet pop a lot and I've heard aspartame turns to some kind of alcohol in the body. But I don't know how much or what effect it has. I should do some research on it. I don't buy any sweeteners because they are so high.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Check out Michael's link.

In February of 1994, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the listing of adverse reactions reported to the FDA (DHHS 1994). Aspartame accounted for more than 75% of all adverse reactions reported to the FDA's Adverse Reaction Monitoring System (ARMS).

Aspartame Disease Mimics Symptoms or Worsens the Following Diseases

Fibromyalgia

Arthritis

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Parkinson's Disease

Lupus

Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)

Diabetes and Diabetic Complications

Epilepsy

Alzheimer's Disease

Birth Defects

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Lymphoma

Lyme Disease

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Panic Disorder

Depression and other Psychological Disorders

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I heard about all that stuff back in the day when nutra-sweet first came out. I was a kid then but it freaked me out enough to avoid it anyway.

Generally speaking I don't drink pop or 'soda' anyway. But for all products with 'diet' aspartame-ified counterparts- I would rather take my chances with the natural sugars, and go for a run afterwards, than eat the chemical crap and possibly get brain tumours, etc. To me it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
if it's fruity soda you want, try just mixing up some (fresh, if possible) juice and club soda or plain sparkling water. tastes just as good.

i've always found the aftertaste that artificial sweeteners leave behind completely foul and therefore haven't consumed them. when faced with a choice between diet whatever and nothing, i pick nothing.

i am going to look into using stevia as the main sweetener in my house now, for baking and everything. i love my sweets and am tired of using processed/refined sugars.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thalia - I agree. My impression of those sites is that they have some kind of axe to grind or hidden agenda. Not sure what someone would have to gain simply by getting someone to quit buying/consuming a product though (other than vegetarians
).

Even if they're not as bad as they sound there's really no reason to consume them. And why take the chance? So I'm going to stop the fruit-flavored waters and just buy water. Like Kreeli said I may just add some lemon or something. May still have the occasional Diet Coke but I really don't want to be drinking bottles of this stuff every day.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I avoid artificial additions where possible.

I doubt if it is that healthy, and I dont know how its done in the US, but in Europe these things have to be tested on animals every five year

·
Registered
0 Posts
There's a lot of anti-Aspartame zealots out there. I don't enjoy how it tastes, so I guess it's a non-issue for me.

Stevia seems pretty nifty though. Nice and sweet, and a bit of fiber too. Pity I can't find it at the local grocers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I try to avoid artifical sweeteners, but they're everywhere. I'm scared of what some of these things will do in the long term, no matter what's been proved or not proved yet.

As for dieters, I read that Aspartame makes your mouth think it tasted something sweet, but your stomach doesn't get it, so you start craving food and sweet stuff. I know that drinking diet sodas makes me feel like eating more than water does, so perhaps it's true.

I've got some Stevia, and a Stevia cookbook in case I really get into it. Its much stronger than sugar, so it'll take some experimenting. If you can't find Stevia, you can order it: http://www.stevia.net/order.htm

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought powdered. I've used it in a few drinks, but be careful not to use too much.

Oh, I also bought something called liquid agave, but haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to be a liquid sweetener from a cactus plant.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"Even if they're not as bad as they sound there's really no reason to consume them."

I'm sure there are are all kinds of exaggerated reports of how bad they are. But, indeed, what reason is there to consume them instead of sugar? I love it when people complain that sugar has "empty" calories, and then consume artificial sweeteners instead. What are they thinking? Artificial sweeteners are emtpy sensory stimulators, at best. No micronutrients, no energy (calories) either. They serve no purpose other than to tickel your taste receptors. Personally, I crave something sweet when I need fast energy, not just because I want to "have something sweet." My need for energy causes the desire for something sweet. Artificial sweetners are devices that really easy to fool people use to fool themselves into thinking they are getting energy -- and instead deprive themselves of the energy they need. I seriously doubt that artificial sweetners have never helped anyone lose weight, tho this is usually the purpose they are advertised as serving. As dotnetdiva said: your mouth thinks you got something sweet. The rest of your body knows you haven't. So instead of your desire for food being gratified -- your nerve-based computer calculates that if the amount of sweetness you had didn't do the trick and give you enough energy -- then your body must need more and more and more sweet stuff, and increases your craving for sweet food, and perhaps all food. Some weight-loss aid. People who think artificial sweetners help them lose weight must think that their whole being consists of a mouth, and the rest of their body doesn't exist.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Yes, artificial sweetners must be tested on animals before they can be approved for sale or for use in prepared foods. They give animals huge amounts of the stuff, more relative to their weight than a human would normally eat.

OK, if we give the animal this much, will it get cancer? How about this much? How about this much?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.