VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1002215235.htm

New research confirms that sea lice from fish farms kill wild salmon. Up to 95 per cent of the wild juvenile salmon that migrate past fish farms die as a result of sea lice infestation from the farms. The results of the research have been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of The United States of America.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
further research also found that fish farms lead to the death of any fish in the farm as well.

:p

but yeah, we're destroying the earth with every step. all to satisfy our bloodlust.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We were just debating aqauculture in class the other day.

Fisheries are ever gonna learn as long as there is money to be made. Salmon will go extinct, then the next fish they overexpliot will go extinct and so on. Seriously we will never learn.

·
Registered
897 Posts
fast forward 100 million years, and the sentient species of the geographic hour will be wondering why all of the species died out during our time, but somehow, 'humans' thrived. for a while, anyway.

so pessimistic today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Storm View Post

Fisheries are ever gonna learn as long as there is money to be made. Salmon will go extinct, then the next fish they overexpliot will go extinct and so on. Seriously we will never learn.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm being pessimistic? I'm being realistic. The fishing industry will not stop exploiting species, they only want to make money. And the public will continue to demand salmon, making it more expensive and give more of a reason for the fishers to go out and fish it.

I can't be optimistic while this is what we are doing.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Quote:

I think you're confusing the two. The aquaculture industry competes directly against the fishing industry. In this case it's aquaculture and their poor practices which are threatening an otherwise sustainable wild salmon fishery.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

I think you're confusing the two. The aquaculture industry competes directly against the fishing industry. In this case it's aquaculture and their poor practices which are threatening an otherwise sustainable wild salmon fishery.
The fishing of wild salmon is definatly NOT sustainable, as we have showed as its almost extinct. Aquaculture is being used because there are hardly anymore wild ones to fish. I am against both obviously.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Quote:

The fishing of wild salmon is definatly NOT sustainable, as we have showed as its almost extinct. Aquaculture is being used because there are hardly anymore wild ones to fish. I am against both obviously.
Nonsense. There's a problem in parts of the PNW because of dams and aquaculture, not fishing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

Nonsense. There's a problem in parts of the PNW because of dams and aquaculture, not fishing.
Fishing is the reason many species are close to extinction, or have went extinct. Commercial fishing is a huge business and they take millions of fish, Cod is another example of overfishing. It could be sustainable, but fisheries just want to make money so take as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Quote:

Fishing is the reason many species are close to extinction, or have went extinct. Commercial fishing is a huge business and they take millions of fish, Cod is another example of overfishing. It could be sustainable, but fisheries just want to make money so take as much as possible.
I thought we were discussing your claims about wild salmon.

Let's not move the goalposts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.