·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...22/-1/HSSPORTS

^^^ complete article ^^^

April 1, 2007

By HEATHER J. CIRAS Columbia News Service

It's not easy being green. Just ask Eric Brent. A strict vegetarian, Brent, 40, founder of the vegetarian Web site happycow.net, said he "did a lot of online dating" trying to find the perfect mate. And for him, that perfect mate had to be a vegetarian.

"I feel like I reached a point where the idea of finding a perfect soul mate might happen to someone with good luck," he said. "Finding someone with a common base was what I was looking for."

Then he found Diana Hsieh (now Brent). Not only was she a vegetarian, but she loved to travel and was an animal rights advocate. Within a year, they were married.

·
Registered
20,214 Posts
ecosexuals?

Doesn't that article make out like relationships and marriages between veg*ans and omnis are doomed to failure? There are plenty of people here on VB willing to refute that. If I found somebody who was supportive of my diet even though he wasn't interested at all in adopting it, I'd be fine with that, as long as we had a lot of other interests in common.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Ecosexual? Sounds like someone who has sex with trees. Yeesh, and I thought being called a "treehugger" was bad.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Love the part about the nurse who wanted to be vegetarian, but eats some meat for health reasons. Welcome to STOS (Stupid Things Omnivores Say), Nurse Eades.

Personally, I've always found dating to be tough, because I'm just not the type of guy who can walk up to any random woman and start a conversation. Being vegetarian has actually made it a little easier, because it's actually a good conversation starter when I do meet people.

--Fromper

·
Registered
379 Posts
I thought that this was an interesting article. I equate mixed vegetarian relationships with mixed religion relationships. They are possible, but it presents a single large hurdle to get past, and these are the types of things that tend to stop relationships before they even start. I know many people here have worked out the problems, but there also lots of examples of this being a major issue of tension in a relationship.

I also wonder sometimes how things look from the omni perspective. Do they consciously or unconsciously filter out vegetarians, because they don't match their own philosophies and way of life?

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

I thought that this was an interesting article. I equate mixed vegetarian relationships with mixed religion relationships. They are possible, but it presents a single large hurdle to get past, and these are the types of things that tend to stop relationships before they even start. I know many people here have worked out the problems, but there also lots of examples of this being a major issue of tension in a relationship.

I also wonder sometimes how things look from the omni perspective. Do they consciously or unconsciously filter out vegetarians, because they don't match their own philosophies and way of life?
Honestly, I consider mixed religion relationships to be less of a problem. Maybe it's just because I live in an area with a lot of Jewish people (including myself and my family), but I know a LOT Jewish/Christian mixed couples. Heck, my father and sister both married Christians. It's just never really seemed like a big deal to me. I've dated several Christians. I guess very religious people might consider it a big deal, but my family is so non-religious that we don't care.

--Fromper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.