VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/na...s-1454167.html

A surprisingly mainstream article about stuff we discuss on VB all the time.

--Fromper
Interesting.
Personally it doesn't bother me when people use the term "pet". I don't like the term "owner" though because it implies that the animals are objects. Do you "own" your kids? No. So why would you "own" your pet/companion animal/fur baby?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use the term "pet" or "companion animal". Flash is my four legged roommate.

--Fromper

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I don't use the term "pet" or "companion animal". Flash is my four legged roommate.

--Fromper
Abner, Peanut, Butter, and Jelly are my housemates. And sometimes my babies.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

If anyone is "owned" in my relationship with my cats, it's me, and I'm loving every second of it!
Same here
I always say that I'm p*ssy whipped

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Interesting.
Personally it doesn't bother me when people use the term "pet". I don't like the term "owner" though because it implies that the animals are objects. Do you "own" your kids? No. So why would you "own" your pet/companion animal/fur baby?
I use the word "owner" or "handler" when referring to both pets and kids.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I use the word "owner" or "handler" when referring to both pets and kids.
At least you don't refer to them as "slaves", the way my parents did

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i don't use either term. we have some special terms with my roommate that sound silly, lol. also they are my "girls" and "sunshines"

and i guess if i would have some sort of "official" conversation, i would use the word "pet" and never thought badly about saying that they are mine (aka. owned). but i sure treat them awesome. they will always be an important factor in my decisions. like i don't see myself giving them away and go on a world trip (although i would let my best friend take care of them if i would go on a lengthy trip, i know she loves them just as much so i don't worry)

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
We generally refer to the dinks as our second set of children - but we can be kind of gross about them.

In Virginia, pets are owned. They are considered property (kids are not, though!). There are rules about how you can't abuse your pets, you have to license them and have them inoculated against rabies, and you are responsible for any damage they do, but beyond that, they're your personal property and you can do nearly anything you wish to them or with them.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Context matters. If I'm talking about my animals I generally just refer to them by name or species. But when I'm talking about the class of animals commonly known as pets what I call them depends on my audience and the point I'm trying to make.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts