VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this article on MSNBC.com:<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><br><span style="font-size:large;">Childhood obesity can trigger early puberty</span><br><br>
Study: Girls who gain weight through age 6 develop breasts by age 9<br><br><br><br>
CHICAGO - Childhood obesity in the United States appears to be causing girls to reach puberty at an earlier age, <b>for reasons that are not clear</b>, a study said on Monday.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Rest of article: <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17465229/" target="_blank">ARTICLE</a><br><br><br><br>
Doesn't "The China Study" talk about years of research performed showing a link between consuming animal protein and early pubescence for girls? "Reasons not clear" my butt.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Provided animal protein intake is correlated with saturated fat intake, yes, you'd see a link, but not a causal one. Obesity increases oestrogen levels, so that's a possible mechanism.<br><br><br><br>
The "for reasons that are not clear" line is a bit of a misstatement:<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">More studies are needed to identify the pathophysiologic mechanisms by which obesity leads to puberty and to determine whether interventions for weight control at an early age may slow or arrest the progression of pubertal onset to earlier ages in the population.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
They didn't look into pathophysiology, so, now that they've established higher BMI actually causes earlier onset of puberty, other groups need to look into the "why" before we'll know anything conclusive.<br><br><br><br>
I just looked at the book you referred to on amazon, since I've heard passing references to its questionable credibility. Oh dear...someone doesn't like reductionism.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I don't know that it has anything to do meat consumption, but obesity probably would be a factor.<br><br><br><br>
When I had a complete hysterectomy, I was 100 pounds over weight. The Dr. told me since every cell produced some estrogen, and I had an excess of cells, I might not need estrogen replacement therapy. Come to find out, he was right. Evidently my body made plenty to keep away hot flashes, etc...<br><br><br><br>
A very overweight young girl might have an excess of cells producing an excess of estrogen, which might cause early maturity. Or not.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I too was surprised to see the lack of coverage wrt estrogen levels. It's pretty common knowledge, as the unopposed estrogen in obese women often cause problems with menstruation and/or fertility.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts