VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0330231448.htm

^^^ complete article ^^^

Science Daily - A study by scientists from King's College London has found that relatively small amounts of omega-3 fatty acids from algae can lower blood pressure and could ultimately reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. This form of omega-3, unlike fish oil, has the advantage of being both sustainable and acceptable to vegetarians.

The research, which is published in the April issue of the Journal of Nutrition, made measurements of cardiovascular function in healthy middle-aged men and women before and after three months supplementation with a placebo or a purified oil rich in the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The DHA was extracted from the marine algae crypthecodinium cohnii. Each subject received both DHA and placebo with a four month break between treatments. The study was conducted 'double-blind' so that neither the investigators nor the subjects knew which treatment was which.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Glad to see this type of thing being confirmed publicly and all, but isn't this old news? I thought the health benefits from this were already known. Also, is this any different health-wise from flax?

--Fromper

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Glad to see this type of thing being confirmed publicly and all, but isn't this old news? I thought the health benefits from this were already known. Also, is this any different health-wise from flax?

--Fromper

Flax does not contain DHA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docosahexaenoic_acid

Most animals make very little DHA metabolically, however small amounts are manufactured internally through the consumption of α-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid found in chia, flax, and many other seeds and nuts.

(Our bodies manufacturing process becomes less effective with age. Hense you can eat flax until the cows come home and not get any DHA)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The DHA was extracted from the marine algae crypthecodinium cohnii

How much was extracted? How much algae would you have to eat to get this amount? Could you buy supplements that have this amount in them?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess that explains the Silk soy milk that's fortified with extra DHA. Maybe I'll start getting that instead of the regular plain for my cereal, even though I already put ground flax seed on my cereal for omega-3.

--Fromper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.