VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Perricone (author of "The Wrinkle Cure")says:

Quote:
You can get adequate amounts of protein by eating fish and soy products. I do not think that vegetarians age well because without sources of protein like fish and meat, they must obtain their protein from sources that have a high carbohydrate content. This results in elevated blood sugar, inadequate high quality protein, and accelerated aging.
Obviously the benefits of a veg*an diet greatly outway the cons & even if I did age horribly I still wouldn't eat meat for such a superficial reason.

What do you think about this statement?

Full article: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
first, what the heck is "accelerated aging"? we are the age we are. there just ain't no such animal. sheesh.

secondly, anecdotal evidence it may be, but all the old-time vegetarians i know (my mother in law being a prime example) look FAN-EFFIN-TASTIC as they get older. she's 64 and looks about 45.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Produce, especially organic produce, reduces the amount of toxins and free-radicals in the system. I found that, as a whole, veg*ns consume more produce than non-veg*ns, and you would reasonably draw the conclusion that our lifestyles make us age slower, particularly internally.

Maybe fewer veg*ns wear tons of make-up and use plastic surgery to hide their aging than non-veg*ns?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
He says 'I do not think..." which to me suggests it is a personal opinion, not something actually backed up by research. If he could show me the studies that backed this up I would take it seriously. I did try to get to the page but it is currently down.

Even though I would take it seriously, it wouldn't change anything. I would still not eat meat. Also, inadequate "high-quality protein"? High-quality? WTF? Is that like "high-quality calcium" from milk? How does one determine which protein is high-quality? How do you measure that? By what criteria? The more I read that statement the more flawed it appears... not scientific at all.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
> You can get adequate amounts of protein

> by eating fish and soy products.

Is soy an animal or what?

> I do not think that vegetarians age well because

> without sources of protein like fish and meat, they

> must obtain their protein from sources that have a

> high carbohydrate content.

And? I "do no think" he has any evidence to prove his point.

> This results in elevated blood sugar

Not true.

> inadequate high quality protein

Not true.

> and accelerated aging.

Looks like someone forgot to tell the 1 billion Indians!

I agree that meat-eating is good against wrinkles. You're likely to die from heart disease before before you get any!

Next!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Um, I don't think elevated blood sugar is as much of a problem if all of those carbs also come with a lot of fiber. Second, animal proteins are believed to be worse for health in different ways as well. I just read a study on the site of the USDA about sulfer compounds in animal proteins and how they cause bone loss, and then there is good old homocysteine and it's suspected health effects. I'll take occasional high blood sugar (and maybe even some wrinkles) over a hunch back and heart disease any day.

And Epski's right to point out all the phytochemicals in produce that would probably counteract all of the aging he "thinks" will occur.

Anyway, didn't he say in the first sentence fish and soy?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Produce, especially organic produce, reduces the amount of toxins and free-radicals in the system.
woo! I had an organic orange-banana-mango smoothie today at the t station in harvard square.

No, there was no point of me saying this, I'm just happy i went to boston today.I want to go to college there someday but my brother says, "oh, well if you have $45,000 per year, then that's great"

F'ing college costs so f'ing much. I WANT TO LIVE IN F'ING BOSTON>

·
Registered
0 Posts
We don't age well? I'm living proof of the exact opposite. Although I'm 29, when people first meet me they think I'm 10 years younger. Compared to a lot of other women my age, I think I look spectacular.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Don't age well....when people compare pictures of me when I was eating meat and NOW...I have had people comment that if they didn't know both were me, they'd think the omni-me was actually my aunt.

I had less wrinkles then but that was only because my facial skin was stretched tight from my being obese.

I've read lots of studies since becoming vegan that actually make the opposite claim, so I think I'll just dismiss this guy's opinions.

B

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually have this guys book. He pushes lots of fish especially salmon in the diet. He is also is a huge advocate of vegetables and fruits. I actually think there is some truth in what he says but I think it only applies to vegetarians who eat a lot of stripped grains and sugars. These are very harmful because of their high glycemic content which does in fact make the body age faster.

If anyones interested some of the bad carbs to avoid as, Dr.Perricone says, are: Bananas, breads, carrots, cereals processed with added sugars, fruit juices (eat whole fruits), mangoes, pancakes, papaya, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar, waffles, potatoes.

I think when he says rice and such he means white rice not brown, but I don't know. Damn, I really love carrots...

Good Carbs are: Asparagus, beans, broccoli, blueberries, cabbage, cantaloupe, citrus fruits, honeydew melon, kiwi fruit, leafy greens, peaches, pears, plums, spinach, most non starchy vegetables.

He actually says in his book to avoid diary products which is a good thing.

Quote:
I agree that meat-eating is good against wrinkles. You're likely to die from heart disease before before you get any!
LOL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tova

If anyones interested some of the bad carbs to avoid as, Dr.Perricone says, are: Bananas, breads, carrots, cereals processed with added sugars, fruit juices (eat whole fruits), mangoes, pancakes, papaya, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar, waffles, potatoes.

I think when he says rice and such he means white rice not brown, but I don't know. Damn, I really love carrots...

well, there goes my diet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thalia:

I agree with everything you said but just want to expand on one thing. You said

Quote:
I just read a study on the site of the USDA about sulfer compounds in animal proteins and how they cause bone loss
From that some people might get the impression that plant proteins don't contain sulfer compounds but they do. And consuming plant proteins causes calcium loss. OVERALL there are fewer sulfer compounds in plant proteins though.

Soy protein is especially high in sulfer compounds. Vegetarians shouldn't think that they are protected against calcium loss (because they are eating plant foods) and eat excessive amounts of protein, especially soy protein. But, on the other hand, some soy products are high in calcium. The absorbed calcium would offset the calcium losses. Animal flesh has very little calcium.

I'd also like to add that consuming enough protein is also important for bone health. There is a happy medium between too much and too little.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I just got an in-depth fitness assessment today, and, although I will be 34 tomorrow, my results say that my "wellness age" is 22. That means I have the health of a 22-year-old, so I don't know what this guy is talking about.

Also, although I don't eat any refined flours or sugars, no one will ever convince me that there's anything "bad" about eating bananas, carrots, potatoes, papayas, etc. I'm for natural, whole foods and exercise all in moderation, and it seems to be working well for me...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Ooooyyyyy boy! Another one on the "carbs is evil" train. I'm weary of people getting all upset over carbs. Don't they realize that there are good and bad carbs (just like good and bad fats, good and bad cholestrol....)? It's not healthy to cut out all carbs, just the bad ones. What is this dr trying to do? Get people so sick that they come to him whining "I tried this vegetarian thing and now I'm really messed up inside." so he can say "Oh, that's ok. We'll put you back on fish and soy and you'll be ok in no time..."

I believe that things from the ground can't hurt you. What can and does hurt a person is to have processed things full of additives and preservatives, not things with good carbs in them. Although I would not have problems with people cutting out bread, cereals processed with added sugars, SOME fruit juices (only the highly processed ones), pancakes/waffles (as well as all that stuff most people put on them), pasta (not ww pasta), and sugar (not good for a person anyway), I WILL NOT CUT OUT bananas, carrots, mangoes, papaya, potatoes, rice...

And about the "fish and soy" thing. Omnis have been trying to put these two in the same boat for years ("Oh, you're vegetarian? Have a nice piece of fish, then") so I'm not surprized that he says "You can get adequate amounts of protein by eating fish and soy products". I will have to agree that he's only half right. Guess which half?

OH! And for the aging thing: I'm 37 and I still look like I'm barely 21. Some people have even told me that I look 18-19 (and thought they were guessing a year or two too high) but the point is, I don't look my age. Blame genetics all you want, but everyone in my family looks older than their time because they eat everything that moves and what doesn't move is swimming under gallons of animal fats. I don't and I don't.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am just guessing that the author did not factor in the health benefits of all the chemicals, hormones and mercury found in meat and fish. I am sure these enhance the aging process quite well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have to admit that I obsess over premature aging and worry that I look older than my age.
BUT, this guy is trying to sell his products, so obviously anything he says should be looked at critically.

As far as food with high glycemic content... Yes, it is bad to eat, say white rice on its own because it sends your blood sugar soaring and puts stress on your blood vessels and other organs. However , when you eat carbs with other foods, it gets all mixed up in your stomach and thus processes much more slowly. So, if you eat white rice with tofu (protein) and broccoli (fiber), you don't have to worry about all the evils
of the rice.

So, stop it if you're stuffing your faces with Wonderbread ® and plain white rice! Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.