VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I really like the image perception of not being normal - different - a non-conformist, so indifference created by vegan diet is fully welcome with open arms and then some. I can imagine though that many people would want to feel normal though.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I could never stay close to vegan in the past because of my obsessing about things in times of stress. It just wasn't worth the undue anguish it caused me, because it wasn't doing the animals any good and keeping me from functioning
When I decided to try again i made sure I understood that i would step back when i needed to, but it turned out that immersing myself into the practical ways of being vegan instead of the forefront of animal rights made it far easier for me to make it my normal.
I get upset with all the vegans who feel it most important that everyone who tries it should automatically become 100%. the reality is while you can scream how bad the animals have it, that's just not in peoples minds as much as it is in others. If someone says they're willing to be pescatarian and take it from there we need to let it take it's course and do more to make vegan living more NORMAL and obtainable than to curse those individuals who don't feel they can commit more to the lifestyle. right now whether someone eats jello and says they're vegan isn't as important as having agar available for omnivores

To me, being vegan should be what omnivores are now. You eat whatever foods you want, and animal products are not considered food

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could never stay close to vegan in the past because of my obsessing about things in times of stress. It just wasn't worth the undue anguish it caused me, because it wasn't doing the animals any good and keeping me from functioning
When I decided to try again i made sure I understood that i would step back when i needed to, but it turned out that immersing myself into the practical ways of being vegan instead of the forefront of animal rights made it far easier for me to make it my normal.
I get upset with all the vegans who feel it most important that everyone who tries it should automatically become 100%. the reality is while you can scream how bad the animals have it, that's just not in peoples minds as much as it is in others. If someone says they're willing to be pescatarian and take it from there we need to let it take it's course and do more to make vegan living more NORMAL and obtainable than to curse those individuals who don't feel they can commit more to the lifestyle. right now whether someone eats jello and says they're vegan isn't as important as having agar available for omnivores

To me, being vegan should be what omnivores are now. You eat whatever foods you want, and animal products are not considered food
I really like your point about focusing on the practical ways of being vegan. Looking back, I think I did a good bit of this also. Sometimes though I would get too distracted by the details of it and trying to be perfect and I would then try to focus on the bigger picture and the reasons I was doing this in the first place. A balance of the two at times can be a challenge.

I also feel that community support, whether online or in real life, is so important for vegans to have a place to share and speak their minds and not feel so isolated or frustrated and alone. We still live in a largely omnivore world and often face indifference and pressure from family, friends, coworkers etc. Don't get me wrong. I love being vegan, happily share it with others, am very committed to living a life that aligns with my ethical values. It has not been that hard to be vegan for myself. But there have been plenty of times I was overcome with anger and frustration at others indifference and complacency. It becomes discouraging when you feel like the whole world is so violent and unconcerned about the suffering and plight of others. So to see that there are other people out there who do care, who are making an effort to do something, is uplifting.

I also believe there are many different ways of being vegan, and that vegans shouldn't be shamed if they are not staunch activists or if they are not health gurus and so on. Each one of us is making a big difference just by virtue of being vegan! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts