VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've only ever seen the film 2001 and always thought that the book was written before the movie. Now I know that they were written simultaneously and I've actually read the book the film makes MUCH more sense

What I wanted to know though is what's with the little letters at the bottom of seemingly random pages in all of the 'Space Odyssey' books? In 2001 they letters start from A and they appear every 10-20 pages (the next one is B etc) and thet appear just below the last sentence on the left side. I picked up 2010 to see if the same thing happens and there are longer markers:

O.T.-B (in I Leonov)

O.T.-D (in III Discovery)

I thought maybe it was just the way they broke up the novel: Part A, part B and then in Odyssey Two O.T.-A, O.T.-B etc. but why whould you leave it in once its been put together?
I dunno maybe its nerd code or something haha

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I love the Space Odyssey series..... got the two movies on DVD and all four books (and the 2001 soundtrack is beautiful). I checked the books and mine don't seem to have codes; however I have seen such codes in books before, and I believe it is something to do with publishing.

A client of mine is in the publishing business, so I'll try to remember to check with them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

I love the Space Odyssey series..... got the two movies on DVD and all four books (and the 2001 soundtrack is beautiful). I checked the books and mine don't seem to have codes; however I have seen such codes in books before, and I believe it is something to do with publishing.

A client of mine is in the publishing business, so I'll try to remember to check with them.
Argh Kurm you have lend me 2010! I can't find it anywhere, mind you our video store doesn't even have 2001

I didn't even know they'd made it until I did a search on google the other day
. I know the guy from Sea Quest is in it so I was a bit suss about how 'good' it would be but if you bought it, it can't be that bad.

Do you like Asimov or Pohl Kurm?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
It's nothing compared to 2001; for one thing, there is sound in space in 2010, but not in 2001.

I haven't read much Asimov, but what I have I've enjoyed. Who's Pohl? The name Frederick Pohl I recall hearing, I think.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

It's nothing compared to 2001; for one thing, there is sound in space in 2010, but not in 2001.

I haven't read much Asimov, but what I have I've enjoyed. Who's Pohl? The name Frederick Pohl I recall hearing, I think.
That's the one. I first heard about him at Uni in a subject called Imagined Futures which focused on (well der) Sci Fi interpretations of the future. I read one of his 'serious' articles for that subject. He is pretty good but not as good as Asimov. Everyone knows Clarke but Asimov's output was so much better and much more prolific - the guy wrote around 500 books and not just sci-fi, detective stories, textbooks you name it.

So yeah I spread the Asimov love where I can. Have you read the Foundation series?

I was also shocked at hom many of his novels have been turned into movies: Fantastic Voyage (Fantastic Voyage and Inner Space), The Positronic Man (Bi-Centennial Man), and they are making I, Robot now.

<edited to add>

If you like Sci-Fi and haven't already check out

Robert Heinlein and Lester Del Ray.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
LOL. The guy from SeaQuest. You really need to catch up on a lot of the classic movies made before your time.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Scheider,+Roy

Roy Scheider is awesome. Haven't you seen Jaws? Even claptrap like Blue Thunder is classic, in my book. He's a classic, with over 75 movies under his belt.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

Argh Kurm you have lend me 2010! I can't find it anywhere, mind you our video store doesn't even have 2001
I've seen it on video at North Richmond Video Ezy. But if you want to borrow my DVD copy, that's okay.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Space Odyssey 2001 - I find this a classic and pretty much a vague artistic expression I'll have to rewatch yearly (or so) to see what it inspires in me to think of

Space Odyssey 2010 - This is just a movie ... very definate situations. It was a good movie but not in the same realm as the first

----------------------

"Asimov's output was so much better and much more prolific - the guy wrote around 500 books and not just sci-fi, detective stories, textbooks you name it."

------------------

He even wrote a "guide to the bible" ... hehe ... being an atheist he could have had an unbiased look ;-)

I read the origiginal Foundation series (and also at least one of the additional ones made later ... ) and also read many of the robot novels (Robots and empire, Caves of Steel ,...) and his short stories.

I should start reading again ... I used to read a lot of sci-fi

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Arthur rox! I heard he's living in Sri Lanka now, I bet he's hiding out form the government or something because he knows way too much. I've read some of his other books like Rama. Great great books. He's the father of Sci-fi to me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dk_art

I read the origiginal Foundation series (and also at least one of the additional ones made later ... ) and also read many of the robot novels (Robots and empire, Caves of Steel ,...) and his short stories.

I should start reading again ... I used to read a lot of sci-fi
Have you read Foundation and Earth? That's actually one of my favourite of the series even though it was written after the originals. Trevise is one of my fave Asimov characters for some reason - but Hari Seldon in Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation is my all time fave.

Quote:
Originally posted by epski

LOL. The guy from SeaQuest. You really need to catch up on a lot of the classic movies made before your time.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Scheider,+Roy

Roy Scheider is awesome. Haven't you seen Jaws? Even claptrap like Blue Thunder is classic, in my book. He's a classic, with over 75 movies under his belt.
Heehee Yeah I know. I just couldn't remember his name and that was the first thing that popped into my head. I just dislike the guy as an actor and being in SeaQuest just made me dislike him even more.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm curious to see Will Smith in "I, Robot."

PS - Yeah, SeaQuest was crap, but you really should see some of his older films.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.