VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asian arowanas:

I'm sure as many of you are aware when arowanas are bred in captivity, the fries are taken away by force from the distressed father aro.

On the one hand, that means these aros must endure having their mouths forced open on a regular basis on these farms, on the other hand, could it be justified to increase the population of an endangered fish.

Here's a link showing how it's don: http://dragonfish.com/

I mean cruelty to fish...or a neccesity to save the species?.

Silver arowanas:

The other scenario involves fishing aros in the wild, killing the father aro and collecting the fries. The argument often is that the adult aros are being killed for food anyways so any fries involved would perish if not for the aquarium trade.

Seems like somethings fish down if so many brooding males are being killed to supply the aquarium trade with silvers. Many of the delicate aro fries die in shipping before they reach the aquarium stores so we can only assume many more then the actual supply is being shipped.

Supporting possibly overfishing aros to supply the aquarium trade...or a rescue of aro fries that would be destroyed if it were not for the aquarium trade in wild silvers?.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I was having trouble reading your post, because I did not understand the terminology.

Arowana: A type of fish

Fries: Baby fish

Aros: Short for arowanas, which are a type of fish.

Apparently with this type of fish, the father carries the babies around in his mouth.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ditto. I've never heard of baby fish referred to as "fries". I wasn't understanding what the big deal was about potatoes.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm skeptical as to how many healthy adult fish of any species the aquarium trade produces, I certainly wouldn't use it as an excuse to fish an endangered species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts