VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,<br><br><br><br>
My name is Tony Levin and I am the founder of an organization called Animal Rights Outreach (ARO). I just setup a forum area this week on the ARO website, <a href="http://www.ARoutreach.org" target="_blank">www.ARoutreach.org</a>, which I think will be a great place for posting information about events or chatting with people from all over the world or meeting up with people who live in your home city!<br><br><br><br>
I have been using a few animal rights and vegetarian forums over the last few years and I've found that there are number of things that aren't so great about many of the existing forums. So I've tried to make the ARO forum so that it doesn't have these problems. Here's a list of some problems that I think are out there and the ways I've tried to overcome these problems:<br><br><br><br>
1. Many forums that do not have any easy-to-find events or meetup sections where people can easily find events happening in their city. ARO has very easy-to-find sections for event postings and meetup postings.<br><br><br><br>
2. Many forums are really aimed at people in just one small area of the world, like just one city, which means that they are not very useful for people living in all sorts of cities but ARO is setup to handle people from around the globe.<br><br><br><br>
3. Many global forums do not have good systems to allow users to find local people to meet up with or chat with. On the ARO forum, users are required to enter their city in their profile in a specific format so that people can search the users for people who live in certain cities. Also, the ARO forum has a system setup so that users enter cities and countries in the subject of event listings (and possibly other messages) so that people can chat with local people and find out about local events. And ARO has some separate areas for various countries and cities to make connections even easier.<br><br><br><br>
4. Many forums allow users to use any kind of username but ARO insists that every user uses their actual first name as the first part of their username. This makes it much easier for people to make connections between the people they meet and the people they chat with on the forum and it makes it much easier to chat on the forum when people have some normal names to refer to (on many forums, people will choose very strange user names, like using just one alphabetical letter or typing really long names, which makes it really difficult for people to refer to each other. There is also at least one forum that doesn't require that users choose any username, so there are often postings from people labelled as (No Name), which obviously makes it difficult for people to chat.<br><br><br><br>
5. Many forums allow users to write really insulting remarks about each other which makes it really unpleasant to read many of the postings on these forums. This problem also intimidates people from getting involved in these forums. ARO doesn't allow messages like this to be posted.<br><br><br><br>
6. Most forums allows users to debate issues all year round but on the ARO forum, debates will usually only be allowed during certain times of the year because many people who are good at debating controvertial issues do not have time to spend all year debating things on the internet, and ARO would like to have people who are good at debating things be able to debate many of the important issues on this site. This way people can read the ideas from people who can understand many kinds of issues and explain things well. So at this time, debates will only be allowed to occur between September 7th and 28th and also between May 7th and 28th. Also, since there will only be debates at certain times of the year, this message board will be an easy-going peaceful place for a large part of the year where people can just chat about events or their own life experiences or other non-controversial topics.<br><br><br><br>
7. I have seen some forums where it is quite clear that there are some users on the site who are not interested in listening to others and debating things but are just involved with promoting meat or some other product involving killing and confining nonhuman animals. People like this will not be allowed on the ARO forum to aggravate people.<br><br><br><br>
8. Some large forums are extremely slow and it takes a really long time just to be able to view one message on the forum but the ARO forum is fast.<br><br><br><br>
9. Some forums require that you click on the text of each message on the forum instead of seeing several messages about one topic on one page. This is can be very frustrating to deal with since it's hard to follow a discussion by reading things where each message is on a page by itself.<br><br><br><br>
10. Some forums have so many different categories that people will very likely not notice many of the messages since they don't want to have to visit all the different categories. So ARO has a fairly small number of categories.<br><br><br><br>
If the ARO forum sounds interesting to you then you may want to join the free forum by going to the ARO website <a href="http://www.ARoutreach.org" target="_blank">www.ARoutreach.org</a> and clicking on the forum button.<br><br><br><br>
Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to mention that I've switched to a more readable font for the text on the ARO website, I've adjusted the ARO homepage so that it loads much faster, and I've made a summary page for the information about the ARO forum so that people don't have to read too much before joining the ARO forum.<br><br><br><br>
I have also decided to explain a bit more of the reasons why I brought up on the ARO forum some issues related to some other activists in Vancouver and I've also decided to invite these activists to talk about these issues on the ARO forum if they want to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to mention that I've switched to a more readable font for the text on the ARO website, I've adjusted the ARO homepage so that it loads much faster, and I've made a summary page for the information about the ARO forum so that people don't have to read too much before joining the ARO forum.<br><br><br><br>
I have also decided to explain a bit more of the reasons why I brought up on the ARO forum some issues related to some other activists in Vancouver and I've also decided to invite these activists to talk about these issues on the ARO forum if they want to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am very thankful that the people who operate veggieboards.com are allowing me to post a message announcing that the ARO forum has just started. I want to make it clear to everyone that even though I wrote a list of a number of problems that I think exist with many forums, I'm not trying to say that the ARO forum is nearly perfect or that people should not use other forums other than the ARO forum. I think that no forum is going to be perfect for everyone and for every purpose, but I do think that the ARO forum will be very useful for many people and for many purposes (like for debating issues or announcing events or setting up local meetups).<br><br><br><br>
I really like the way veggieboards.com is setup and I definitely will continue to use it at the same time that I use the ARO forum and some other forums. I love how there are so many users on veggieboards and it looks like most people on this site are friendly and easy-going. I also really like the way the site looks and how easy it is to use the program that runs this forum.<br><br><br><br>
Tame: it is true that I am a new user on veggieboards, and it turns out that the reason I ended up discovering this forum is because I wanted to let people know about the ARO forum. But now that I have found this forum site, I will definitely stay active on it since I think it is a well-designed forum and it looks like it is being run very well.<br><br><br><br>
I really hope that my announcement about the ARO forum is allowed to remain here since I would love to have some of the friendly people here come and check out the possibility of using the ARO forum as well as this forum. You may find that there are a few things that you really like about the ARO forum and a few things that you really like about this forum, and realize that it makes sense to use both forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts