VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this over the past few days because of a couple of occurrences. First, my love's birthday is coming up, and it's been killing me not to tell him what his birthday present is.
Secondly, one of my acquaintances was accused of being a bad secret-keeper. Now, I know that this person is excellent in that regard (having kept some of my own secrets
), so I thought the whole disagreement was quite funny.

So...are you good at keeping things "in the vault" or do set your secrets free?

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
Yeah I'm the uber secret keeper. If I think it's not hurting anyone to keep it, I'll stash it away for years.

And the more you're able to do that, the more people trust you with their secrets....so I find you get better and better goss as the years go by

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Ditto. I never spill secrets. It's one of my (few?) good points!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes, I am. I have no interest and am too busy to gossip. Most secrets told to me were none of my business to begin with. Even though I tried to cut them off, they would be intent on telling me. Also always lived by the rule "if you don't have anything good to say..." Karma and all that, I try not to put anything negative out there, less I get it back.

Regarding surprises and presents, I love to watch things play out, so I have no urge to say anything that way either.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, I keep other people's secrets. As to my own secrets, I'll let one spill every so often if I feel that I need to.

·
Registered
564 Posts
dude with me and my gf we always get each other gifts then cant wait to give them to each other then just end up opeing them early so were not good at keeping secrects

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1pp1eboy View Post

dude with me and my gf we always get each other gifts then cant wait to give them to each other then just end up opeing them early so were not good at keeping secrects
Aww. That's cute!

·
Registered
720 Posts
If someone specifically tells me not to tell their secret, I won't say a peep. But if they don't TELL me it's a secret, I'm all about telling everyone the interesting news.

I think it's because all writers are gossips at heart. That's why we feel the compulsion to write in the first place.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I keep secrets very well. I hate gossiping, so I generally don't even share information that's not supposed to be secret. I think I knew my cousin was pregnant long before the rest of my immediate family did, but it never really occured to me to announce it to anyone, even though it wasn't a secret.

However, I abhore lying, so I always have a tough time when I'm supposed to keep a secret but someone asks me about it. In certain cases it seems really juvenile to say "I'm not supposed to tell!" (assuming the secret itself is juvenile) or someone is doing something I don't approve of anyway (cheating or stealing, for instance) and I'm already tempted to tell.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I've been pretty good lately. My sister and I planned a surprise party for our parents 60th anniversary, and we swore our invited guests to secrecy. Our dad didn't have a clue, but our mother suspected something was up. She kept nagging at us and nagging at us, asking us questions. All we would say is to keep the day free and something special was going to happen. Unfortunately, one of the guests didn't listen to us and spilled the beans to our mother, so she found out.
And then of course, that particular guest couldn't come at the last minute because of illness. So if not for that, my mom would have fainted from surprise. I did a pretty good job of keeping THAT secret.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i'm a good secret keeper -- i've been trained since i was a kid. my dad and brothers used to play around on their wife/gf, and i'd be the excuse to leave the house -- and i never told, not even my mom. was never bribed either -- i just knew not to tell. my brothers would hide their drugs in my room -- nobody knew.

whenever somebody tells me something, i tend to keep it to myself -- i figure if they wanted somebody else to know, they'd share it themselves.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I can keep a secret as long as it won't hurt a child. One time I caught a 5th grader smoking in the girls rest room. I didn't want her expelled, (what would she have learned missing lessons for three days?) so I told her she had one week to tell her mother before I called her myself. Since she had been in my class in the 1st grade, and she knew I loved her, she knew I would handle it privately, but I would tell her mother. Her mother called me to thank me for making her tell me herself.

If someone adult tells me a secret, I can keep it forever. What? What secret? I didn't hear a thing.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm very good at keeping secrets. For instance, I've been vegetarian for about a month now, and I usually eat lunch at my desk at work, but my coworkers who sit at the desks right around mine don't know I've gone veg. That's not really a secret, but I just don't see the need to announce it to the world and have to field all the stupid questions and possible hostility.

I'm pretty good with other people's secrets, too. I had to think about it, since I do gossip a little with my coworkers about our clients and fellow coworkers, but I don't share the stuff that's meant to be kept secret.

--Fromper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts