VeggieBoards banner

were do you live, where do you want to live?

• i live in the city, happy there

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • i live in the city but want to move to the suburbs

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • i live in the city but want to move to a farm or the countryside.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • i live in the suburbs, happy there.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • i live in the suburbs but want to move to the city

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • i live in the suburbs but want t move to a farm or the countryside

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • ii live on a farm or in the countryside, happy there

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • i live on a farm or in the countryside, but want to move to the city

• i live on a farm or in the countryside, but want to move to the suburbs

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • i have no preference and i'm equally happy anywhere

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so where do you live and where do you want to live? i live in the country, and that's where i want to be. i'm outside of town about 7 minutes, which is magical in a way. very convenient. but my home is on 6 acres, in a subdivision built around a wetland where it's all divided like a giant pie. the wetland itself is about half of everyones property. if it's in the floodplain, it's federally protected. so it's huge, and no one can get a permit to do anything out there, which is even better
. no one ever goes back there except me and a couple of neighbors. there are constantly animals spilling out of the woods.

i've been working in san antonio for a bit and it's brought me to the conclusion that i don't want to ever live in the city or suburbs again! it's nice to visit, but it's all i can do to keep from loading up the truck and running back to florida right now

so where do you live and where would you want to live?

my apologies for the options i left out, but the poll size is a maximum of 10. so all my efforts to calculate permutations went for naught. such is the fate of a nerd

·
Registered
596 Posts
I live in a beach-side suburb about 20 minutes from the city. I love it there but i was planning to move to another state and smaller city to be closer to some veg*n friends of mine. just as i was getting near to moving, my friends decided that they thought they might want might move to my city instead so now i think i'm staying where I am.

i love the country, but it's too far from suitable employment for me.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I live outside of a small town (15000). My commute is 10 minutes and I love it. Used to live in a big city and miss it not at all.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have lived in a town of 1000 my whole life, and I don't like it.
I've always loved being in cities and want to move to one when I graduate.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my idea is to be able to pick and choose from the city, but build my own little world out where i live. you just can't do that in the suburbs, and having a house in the suburbs with a lawn you can garden or an apartment you can decorate just doesn't cut it. it's nice to live a lot farther than you can throw a baseball between you and the next house.

i've planted a row of bushes between me and my closest neighbor that grow as tall and wide as a bus. in fact, you could hide a bus behind them. they're in their 3rd year and really taking off

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

my idea is to be able to pick and choose from the city, but build my own little world out where i live. you just can't do that in the suburbs, and having a house in the suburbs with a lawn you can garden or an apartment you can decorate just doesn't cut it. it's nice to live a lot farther than you can throw a baseball between you and the next house.

i've planted a row of bushes between me and my closest neighbor that grow as tall and wide as a bus. in fact, you could hide a bus behind them. they're in their 3rd year and really taking off
we're moving in about 2 weeks, but there are neighborhoods here that would suit you well. there are neighborhoods about 8-10 minutes outside of town that have 5+ acres and lots of trees/views. You feel like you're way out but you're not. We're moving closer for the kids, but that style of neighborhood is next down the road.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I live in the city and I'm very happy here. I grew up in a small town and it was incredibly boring, my life started to get a lot more exciting when I moved away from home.

I love nature too but that's what camping and hiking is for! We have some nice beaches and parks here too.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I want to move by the sea one day.
(I live in a London borough at the moment.)
Hang in there. It'll be at your doorstep before you know it.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

we're moving in about 2 weeks, but there are neighborhoods here that would suit you well. there are neighborhoods about 8-10 minutes outside of town that have 5+ acres and lots of trees/views. You feel like you're way out but you're not. We're moving closer for the kids, but that style of neighborhood is next down the road.
around my subdivision there are huge open areas of farmland/woods with no construction going on at all nor likely in my lifetime. so it's close, but country in my mind.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

around my subdivision there are huge open areas of farmland/woods with no construction going on at all nor likely in my lifetime. so it's close, but country in my mind.
yeah, for us it's nice being just outside of the city. we have the enjoyment of neighbors not being close and the ability to be social in town in 10 minutes. I can't stand the thought of having next door neighbors any longer. peace and quiet is a wonderful thing after living in the city.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I live in a town of about 40,000 but I could live in a smaller town quite easily if it had a lake and a 160 acre forested park right next to downtown like this one.

I grew up living 3 miles from a small town of 5,000. The property was ok, lots of trees and some space but we were right next to a highway. I will never ever live next to a highway again, I hate the sounds, how dangerous it is for animals, and how you feel like a prisoner. You can't just step out and go for a walk or ride a bike because it just isn't safe.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i live in a big city and could never imagine living outside of it. actually i can't even imagine living outside of downtown

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I chose "suburbs and happy there" even though my city is a little different than most. Though there are around 85,000 people living here, there is no central "downtown" or any kind of industry. There are "strip malls" every couple miles among all the residences. This community was started in the 1960's as a retirement community and "bedroom" community for Orlando, FL. The population literally exploded and finally the "city" incorporated and actually became a full fledged city in 1991. I like being close enough to a major city if I want to go to cultural stuff and there is a thriving veg population in Orlando. It is also less than an hour from the beach. There are no "bad areas" in Deltona... the crime is all spread out.
There are no ethnic neighborhoods or "projects" or anything like that. It is a very culturally and ethnically mixed city. I like it here ok though the crime (mostly drugs and burglaries) is increasing. And of course as the population grows, so does traffic and all that entails.

I grew up on a farm.. a real working family farm which was only a couple miles from my "hometown", population 1000. I couldn't wait to go to college and get out of there. I went back up there after being away for years in 2007 and though the area is quite beautiful and it was fun to visit ... I could NEVER live there... I have become a "city/suburbs" girl for sure!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I currently live in the 'burbs of a large town/small city. I hate it. I think it's because I hate Fayetteville. It's the armpit of the country. I could live just about anywhere but here.

However, my dream is to have a small apartment in the central part of a large city where I work during the week, then have a large country home an hour or two out side where I spend weekends and vacations.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I want to move out a ways where I can have more dogs and fewer neighbors, but it has to be close to the city. I don't want to drive 45 minutes to get a newspaper or groceries.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I want to move out a ways where I can have more dogs and fewer neighbors, but it has to be close to the city. I don't want to drive 45 minutes to get a newspaper or groceries.
My family has to drive almost an hour for groceries :/
I can't until I can graduate and move to wherever I want.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I live in a city. I like it here, although it's fairly small. I grew up on the rural-urban fringe (I can't describe it as a town or a village, really) and it was so dull. I wouldn't go back there for the world.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Being blind I can't really live out in the middle of no where though I did before I went blind and it was great back then. Currently I live in a small town of about 6,000 but it's only 10 minutes from a city. Generally I love it. The fiance and I eventually want to move to a city or town by the beach. I vote for Berkley, Santa Cruz, or Portland.

Audrey

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.