VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make some vegan birthday cake but I would really prefer to use a packaged mix since it is so much easier. Does this exist? And if so does it turn out well and taste good?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
you'd be surprised at how many cake mixes are vegan. Just read your labels. Most ask for you to add an egg or two, so you would need to use egg replacer or another sub.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Yep. A few have some milk products in them, but many seem to be vegan. If you change your mind about baking a cake though, you could try this recipe, known to most as "Wacky Cake". I swear, it's the easiest thing you'll ever bake.

Quote:
Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

3 cups flour (680 grams)

2 cups sugar (450 grams)

6 tablespoons cocoa (100 grams)

2 teaspoons baking soda (10 cc's = 10 ml)

1 teaspoon salt (5 cc's = 5 ml)

3/4 cup vegetable oil (200 cc's)

2 tablespoon vinegar (30 cc's)

2 teaspoon vanilla (10 cc's)

2 cup cold water (480 cc's)

Instructions:

-----------------------------------------------------

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes two layers of a two-layer 9-inch or 8-inch round cake, or one small sheet cake. When cool, frost it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Really?! When I was looking for cake mix (to er, cheat... see other thread to why id want to haha) they all had milk powder in. except for one that had no vegan label (And it was sainsburys), and had an additive with lact in it so wasnt sure

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesh View Post

Well that certainly does make it easier. Is there vegan premade frosting as well?
I'm not sure about frosting, (I'd guess yes), but frosting is incredibly easy to make.

I soften the equivalent of about 2/3 a stick of margarine (could use Earth Balance or similar vegan margarine), and sift a bag of powdered sugar. Then I blend the margarine with about a tablespoon of the sugar for a few seconds. You keep doing that over and over, scraping down the side of the bowl where the sugar tends to get cake up, and add in a teeny bit of vegan milk when it gets a little too dry in consistency. Keep doing this until you have enough, then add in a little vanilla, or other flavoring. The exact measurements of ingredients aren't really important. You don't have to use the whole bag of powdered sugar by any means. Make sure the cake is cool before frosting of course! (and you could put the frosting in the fridge if it's too soft.)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Actually MOST frosting is vegan! (Even some "cream cheese" frostings, which is just.... weird...).

Read the labels, read, read, read.

And many cake mixes as well. Again. Read, read, read.

<<<Favorite decadent junk-food... chocolate frosting and peanut butter on graham crackers.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Really?! When I was looking for cake mix (to er, cheat... see other thread to why id want to haha) they all had milk powder in. except for one that had no vegan label (And it was sainsburys), and had an additive with lact in it so wasnt sure
I wonder if this is a UK/US thing. Dairy seems to be hidden everywhere in the UK. My favorite was discovering whey in salsa recently. Salsa!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I wonder if this is a UK/US thing. Dairy seems to be hidden everywhere in the UK. My favorite was discovering whey in salsa recently. Salsa!
I know EXACTLY what brand that it. We were
when we first noticed it. And it's not very good salsa, but still. You wouldn't think you'd have to look on the salsa label. We now buy M&S roasted pepper salsa and it is vegan and

To the OP: good luck with your cake. I make frosting with vegan buttery spread and a little soy yogurt to make it tangy and unrefined powdered sugar. And whiz it up with my stick blender and it is yummy.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Interesting, IamJen. In the US, it seems like whey or milk is in every single loaf of whole-wheat bread in the entire supermarket. I'm always hearing about great vegan bread options in the UK though...

However, we DO have tons of "accidently" vegan cake mixes and frostings available in the regular supermarkets, no trip to the healthfood store needed. (I counted 11 cake mixes and 12 frostings tonight that were vegan in Safeway.)

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Duncan Hines makes a family stlye Bownie mix that is vegan, with the exception of spelling out the kind of sugar it contains. All you have to do is replace the eggs that are called for in the recipe. When they are on sale at Pack and Save (Safeway) they are $1.00 a box.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
TNS...I do agree that bread is generally easier here. I found milk sometimes in the US, but the killer for me was always honey. Here it's been nearly impossible to find vegan guacamole, we've found dairy in hummus, pretzels, geez, I can't remember. The good thing is that things are very well labelled here.

I suppose the vegan frustrations just mean we all need to eat more unprocessed foods.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use the Southaven Farm mixes -- www.southavenfarm.com -- because you add in what you want. If I'm making something for myself, I'll use yogurt, milk and sugar but if I'm making for my vegan sister, I'll use soy yogurt, soy milk and sugar. I've made their cinnamon pecan bundt cake and it's awesome. The snack cakes are good too, especially the chocolate. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I found vegan cookie mix today! Just add water. it was also only 80p. But i miss out the best part

they were GREEN DINOSAURS

bloody amazing!

You put jam (also vegan) in a tube on them to make it pretty. and could collect 4 stamp thingies! I got a stegasaurus =( wanted a t rex.

they tasted like nothing though, pure nothing! the only taste was in the jam. my boyfriend still ate half of them and only one housemate braved one hehe

oh asda i love thee, why did i ever start shopping at tescos?

to stay on topic, they had cake mix too, er betty crocker swirl cake. where you make plain and chocolate seperate then mix it in together... but you had to add oil to it and i aint buying a huge thing of oil for one cake

1 - 20 of 31 Posts