VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been a vegan for a little over 9 months. I really love it! Unfortunately, I also have a gluten intolerance and find it difficult to figure out if foods are both gluten free and vegan.

Here are the ingredients to the Glutino Chocolate Vanilla Crème Cookies-

INGREDIENTS: TAPIOCA FLOUR, RICE FLOUR, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PALM OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, CANOLA OIL, ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL AS AN ANTIOXIDANT), CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), WATER, TAPIOCA SYRUP, CORN STARCH, CASSAVA FLOUR, DEXTROSE, COCOA, POTATO FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, XANTHAN GUM.

BUT, then at the end this is added-

MAY CONTAIN: MILK, EGGS, PEANUTS AND TREE NUTS.

Are they vegan? Thank you so much.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Neither milk nor eggs are vegan. What this likely means is, the cookies are processed on a machine that is also used for making other products that contain these non-vegan ingredients, so there may trace amounts of it in the cookies. The recipe for the cookies appears to be vegan, but because the company also makes non-vegan products, there may be small- possibly microscopic- amounts of dairy and eggs in the cookies. They post this as a warning for those who may have allergies to tree-nuts, dairy, peanuts, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.