VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been craving a glass of wine lately and nowhere around seems to carry any vegan wine that I like so I am curious if Kosher & Organic wines would be considered vegan?

I would assume so since the only thing I can think of in wine that isn't vegan is the sulfites and if it says no sulfites added then I should be ok..

I am trying to see if this works before I attempt to look online so please and thank you

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Some wines are not vegan because they are fined with isinglass, a fish product. Other wines are fined with milk or egg. As these are not considered ingredients in themselves not all countries (most countries in fact) do not require them these products to be listed on the label. It's only been a couple of years since this type of labelling has been required here in Aus. An organic wine can still be fined with these products.

·
Registered
203 Posts
this is a good site i found that has a list of vegan wines (you can search too)

http://vegans.frommars.org/wine/

ps on that site there is an faq with this info:

Quote:
4. Organic wine

4.1 Is organic wine suitable for vegans?

Not necessarily. In fact, no more so than any other wine. Organic wine is produced without chemical fertilisers, pesticides, fungicides and with carefully restricted amounts of chemical preservatives (sulphur dioxide normally). Nothing is required with regards to the use of animal-derived ingredients.

4.2 Is organic wine suitable for vegetarians?

Not necessarily for the same reasons as it may not be suitable for vegans.

4.3 But I thought organic wine was "natural"?

Animal-derived ingredients are considered "natural". In fact organic farmers may use animal blood and bonemeal (crushed animal bones) which are slaughter house by products in place of chemical fertilisers, as well as any processing aids that are used in the wine itself.
and regarding kosher wines.... here is a good link about what makes wine kosher - http://www.gemsinisrael.com/e_article000033155.htm

Quote:
During the production of kosher wine, no animal products may be used. Gelatin or egg whites are sometimes used by non-kosher wine makers, to clarify the wine, while kosher wine makers use a clay material, called bentonite, which pulls suspended particles to the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So most wines aren't vegan? I assumed they were. i had heard about beers not being began because of stuff they use, but I dodn't know about wine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea the vast majority of wines are not vegan... its a shame... but if you have a good wine store or health food store you should be able to find something vegan.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
This is why I love VB...I just looked up 'fining wine' and learned something new! I'm always hearing about something I know nothing about and it causes me to do a search to get more info on it! Someday I'm going to be so smart!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.