VeggieBoards banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

The one I buy at speedway and walmart do not have gelatin yay!
I just saw a box without gelatin- but had confectioners glaze and invertase!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
The Tootsie website is terrible and for some reason lists everything but the ingredients.
brood.gif
I know late last year they did still have gelatin and confectioner's glaze. My sister had a box and out of curiosity I checked to see if it was the same, and it was.

Now, if Andes were made vegan, my life may very well be complete.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I stopped ordering them from the movie theaters everytime I go cause I saw that gelatin is listed as an ingredient. I'm not sure if they dropped it.
huh.gif

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've bought lots of junior mints in stores - they contain confectioners glaze but no gelatin. I'm not sure if movie theaters have old stock or if they continue to make some with gelatin, but gelatin free ones do exist.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wasn't familiar with shellac so I looked it up - found this: http://foodaries.com/2011/06/shellac-that-candy-coating-on-your-sweets-really-comes-from-the-rear-end-of-a-beetle/. Looks like it's basically poop and doesn't require any killing (still not something I want to consume). I've been avoiding traditional candies because of hidden ingredients. Is the sugar whitened with bone-charcoal? Probably and I avoid that. Red (and pink) dye is an issue, too. Is it cochineal? (ground up insects - yuck!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
some boxes don't say gelatin, however there is also a problem with the shellac the put outside the chocolate. I have read it is derived from bugs and therefore isn't vegan.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts