VeggieBoards banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You guys will all likely find the new documentary "The Corporation" (to be released by Zeitgeist) interesting and/or controversial. Saw it at Sundance. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Corporations have been an engine of growth for this country since their inception, and throughout their evolution. The earliest corporations were somewhat different than what we're used to thinking of today. I do feel that the corporation as an entity has acquired too many privileges, and that any abuse by anyone running a corporation is too much.

The problem of growth is, I think, an issue. It's not just greed causing fraud and resulting in the outsourcing of jobs to other countries, it's also because the economy has become so addicted to rapid growth and improved quarterly results that there's too much pressure on corporate executives to produce results at any cost.

I wonder what will happen when we run out of markets to exploit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
"I was wondering what the level-headed people here thought about corporations. "

I wasn't going to post after you've set this requirement... but

A business starts off when someone offers the people out there something that they want. Corporations seem to be going into, 'we have this to sell, let's make them want it' and they try and succeed to change peoples minds, effecitively telling you what you need. It is true that you have a choice, but the big companies go a long way to influence that choice.

Good or bad? Personally I think that if you're going to be a sucker who HAS to purchase a new pair of sneakers/trainers every week then it's too bad. But children are easily influenced by i.e. fast food advertising during children's programmes on tv.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

(pssst It's a Canadian film, too)
Not everyone involved with the production is a Canuck, but the financing pretty much all came out of Canada, yup.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

dunno about that.
Yeah, some people are bad apples.

What I meant by the statement you quoted is that if a business is doing something bad (like killing animals for food), it isn't fair to blame only the business. It only exists because people are buying the product.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts