VeggieBoards banner

Are Shells Vegan?

• No, They're technically an animal bi-product.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Yes, the animal is done with it, and it's discarded and only going to get crunched up by feet.

Votes: 10 66.7%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was down at the beach during really low tide and snagged an intact oyster shell with lovely colouring, I was pleased as punch!

Anyhow, it got me wondering, do vegans find that empty shells found on the beach, are unvegan?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I would say that if you sold them somewhere, you couldn't label them vegan, but I certainly wouldn't call someone unvegan for collecting them. It's like, is a feather dropped by a bird vegan? In the same sense yes: if you put such feather in clothing, I don't think you can market it as vegan, but it doesn't bother me if someone collects those abandoned feathers, as I think there's no cultural practice of seeing birds as resources involved with that.

Anyway, I don't know anything about oysters and shells, so maybe some animals still benefit from the shells or something, I don't know.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really good point

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I won't pick up snail shells, in case the hermit crabs need them. They need to upgrade as they grow. I can't resist picking up scallop and jingle shells though, and those sunrise clam shells. Or abalone shells. I have a few feathers here and there. Once I was camping in White Wolf, and there was a raven hanging around a lot. He flew over my table and a feather fell from him. I think of him whenever I look at the feather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.