VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
When I was an egg eating milk drinking kid calling myself a vegetarian, I was very sternly corrected by an adult who told me I needed to call myself a lacto ovo vegetarian, since real vegetarians didn't eat these things. Throughout most of the history of the idea of vegetarianism, eggs were not considered a vegetarian food.

I can't think of any other word whose meaning so many masses of people have wanted to change to suit themselves, in such a short time. Except maybe for the word vegan. That's not even 100 years old, and people have already altered it to suit themselves, instead of respecting the intent of the people who actually created it to represent an idea that they thought needed representing.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

When you eat an egg your eating the period of the chicken.... It hasn't been fertilized then it doesn't chicken inside of it, its a natural process for the chicken...
No. Wild birds do not have periods like human women do. They lay anywhere from one to a dozen fertilized eggs a year with the intention of raising a new generation. Chickens who have been domesticated by humans to become egg factories are not the slightest bit natural. They have been altered from their wild state to lay way more eggs each year than their bodies are capable of. This is a completely artificial human engineered situation that in no way resembles human menses.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemdude View Post

Lacto-ovo vegetarianism is the most common form of vegetarianism, so that has to mean something.
It was also a common belief at one time that the earth was flat, and that if you sailed into the ocean you would eventually reach the edge and fall into an abyss. So I don't think commonly held notions mean anything just because a majority believes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I'm nerdy enough to have found this entire reading interesting. It explains the etymology of the words meat, vegan, and vegetarian. Here is the vegetarian portion of it.

http://www.purifymind.com/SomeWords.htm

...This fits the 'strict vegetarian' group, but in the best of American traditions, they then confused things further by insisting on calling themselves 'vegan'...
LOL

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Do you think that those early vegans/ strict vegetarians would have gotten sick due to not having enough B12? And possibly D (what with this being in the UK and sunshine being a rare treat rather than something that we are privileged to see on a regular basis)?
I'd say no. People in those days weren't fortifying foods with B12 and D, because they hadn't even discovered them yet. They would have had no clue that there were nutrients missing from a plant based diet that they could get from animal products. Milk and eggs are not good sources of those nutrients anyway, or they wouldn't have to fortify everything under the sun with B12 and D to keep full on meat eaters from getting sick nowadays. People didn't take drugs and antibiotics and drink chlorinated water, so they probably had sufficient intestinal bacteria to make the B12 they needed. I believe diseases caused by vitamin D deficiency did kill lots of people during the industrial revolution when the need for factory workers grew, and those workers were treated abysmally and never allowed to see the sun.

I don't know what people who were ignorant of the existence of substances like vitamins B12 and D would have been able to blame deficiency diseases on, but I wouldn't expect them to see much difference in their health from eating milk and eggs, but not meat, especially when so many meat eaters get B12 anemia in spite of heavy animal food intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts