VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dates are one of my favourite foods, and I eat them everyday, and I was wondering if anybody eats any specific raw foods to increase energy apart from dates and bananas?

I workout 7 days a week, which includes weight-training, cycling, walking, martial arts and stretching. I do not follow a raw vegan diet, only about 30/40% of my diet is raw.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Maybe if you make a datorade or soak the dates and use them in a smoothie. Otherwise, you will need to drink a lot of water to compensate for the lack of moisture in the dates compared to other sweet fruits.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Bananas rock for cycling. I haven't tried dates, though I've been meaning to. Apples are great too, not much energy, but a lot of water. Could accompany dates well.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I take spirulina daily and it seems to give me some more energy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I LOVE DATES... and since going veggie banana's are an everyday food for me.

Peanutbutter on rye bread or something is also an energy booster

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good suggestion SwissMiss. Figs are a slow release energy food, the Lerida variety maybe the best kind.
Although I tend to overiook figs and choose dates because they are more expensive, and you get more dates for your money. Will certainly give figs a try in the near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dates have low glycemic index (except for raisins) so its good to have them in a couple hours before working out
bananas, on the contrary, during or after the training, when u need to restore energy

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I was going to say something, but then I realized that I was in the raw food section.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I take it you are a '30 bananas a day' follower?
IMO, I find the best thing to do is to stock up on juicy fruits prior to the workout and let it all digest about 30 mins-1 hour before working out. I don't think that dates make that much of a difference, the best runs I have had have been from a high-calorie intake before the workout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts