VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming....ion/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) -- Next time Grandma asks why you're going to the mall on Sunday morning instead of church, tell her you're going to Apple Chapel.
For Apple fans, the brand triggers a reaction in the brain that's not unlike that of religious devotees, according to a BBC documentary series that cites neurological research.
The neuroscientists ran a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test on an Apple fanatic and discovered that images of the technology company's gadgets lit up the same parts of the brain as images of a deity do for religious people, the report says.
This is not shocking news
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Consumerism literally is a spirituality, and brands are the new gods. Why do you think companies spend billions on advertising flooding our environment with their message on how to have a relationship with their product, how their product will bring salvation to your life, and how great loyalty to their particular brand is as they, and only they, can bring these products in your life. These are the new mythologies for the modern world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,154 Posts
Not surprising at all. Hearing an Apple fan go on and on about why Apple products are The Greatest Inventions Ever is not unlike listening to a fundamentalist Christian go on and on about how Jesus Christ is his/her personal lord and savior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Not surprising at all. Hearing an Apple fan go on and on about why Apple products are The Greatest Inventions Ever is not unlike listening to a fundamentalist Christian go on and on about how Jesus Christ is his/her personal lord and savior.
Both equally head-nodders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
I like Red Delicious, Jonathon Gold, Granny Smith, and Winter Banana apples. Does that count?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Not surprising at all. Hearing an Apple fan go on and on about why Apple products are The Greatest Inventions Ever is not unlike listening to a fundamentalist Christian go on and on about how Jesus Christ is his/her personal lord and savior.
I'm sort of halfway who you're talking about... I don't really like Macs but other than that... WOOH APPLE! WOOH iPHONE AND iPAD AND... *ahem*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,898 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
In my experience, rather than being poseurish hipsters, Apple owners are much more likely to be either full-on geeks or technology-orientated people with geekish tendencies.

I've been reading a lot of rubbish written about the Apple brand lately and it's lead me to the conclusion that a lot of people who would like to own Apple products but can't perhaps afford them, console themselves over not being able to afford them by constantly whinging about them using a lot of ignorant generalisations and pigeon-holeing about the brand and type of people who do use them.
 

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
Joined
·
6,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

In my experience, rather than being poseurish hipsters, Apple owners are much more likely to be either full-on geeks or technology-orientated people with geekish tendencies.

I've been reading a lot of rubbish written about the Apple brand lately and it's lead me to the conclusion that a lot of people who would like to own Apple products but can't perhaps afford them, console themselves over not being able to afford them by constantly whinging about them using a lot of ignorant generalisations and pigeon-holeing about the brand and type of people who do use them.
That sounds an awful lot like an angry Apple fan retort. Hmm..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
oh come on, not only Apple fans, fer cryin' out loud!

Star Trek
Star Wars
LOTR
Douglas Adams
Xbox
PSP
Pink Floyd
Lost
Grateful Dead
Tetris
Comics
Radiohead
Oprah
Seinfeld
Stephen King
Twilight
Muse
True Blood
The Beatles
Bob Marley
Football
Basketball
Wizard of Oz
...ad infinitum

plus, (at least in my case), i would replace the word "religious" with enthusiastic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

Wait... Jobs isn't God? Dammit. I only had to buy one more iPhone to get my ticket to Heaven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSis View Post

oh come on, not only Apple fans, fer cryin' out loud!

Star Trek
Star Wars
LOTR
Douglas Adams
Xbox
PSP
Pink Floyd
Lost
Grateful Dead
Tetris
Comics
Radiohead
Oprah
Seinfeld
Stephen King
Twilight
Muse
True Blood
The Beatles
Bob Marley
Football
Basketball
Wizard of Oz
...ad infinitum

plus, (at least in my case), i would replace the word "religious" with enthusiastic.


I'm a True Blood fan, but I'm ashamed of it. (Just so you know)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top