VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One method of trying to sway omnivores that I often see is the use of comparisons. The most common one I have seen, but not the only harmful culprit, are images of people with butchers diagrams on them.

This seems like the weakest possible way to make a point, yet it is the most common I have seen in magazines that reach many people. Trying to paint others as immoral for what they are doing is a poor way to try and get them to change opinions. Even more so it is sensational. People generally do not butcher people. People butcher animals. Animals are not equal to humans, they do not need to be for me to feel the moral necessity to protect them.

If anything this comes off as a major ego stroking to the individuals making these ads and a way to appeal to people whom already agree with them. I remember in college I had took a course on persuasion. I will look up the textbook I read from later, if anyone is curious to know it. The thing I learned though was that appealing with imagery like this more often than not will just turn people away from your ideology. This also goes for verbal persuasion. People do not like to know that they are being appealed to. Peoples witty imagery or verbal lashings will do no good to the cause.

This post has turned into somewhat of a rant so I will cut it short here. I am mostly just frustrated with all of the vegetarians and vegans that I see trying to appeal to omnivores because for the most part they do more harm than they do good. Lead by example unless you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob3 View Post

Animals are not equal to humans, they do not need to be for me to feel the moral necessity to protect them.

Lead by example unless you know what you are doing.
1. I'm sorry you think our race is superior, committing genocide always is a marker of a great species.
2. If we only led by example and never explained what we were doing and why, there would a lot less people switching to veg*nism.

You don't need to take a course in advertising to tell people the benefits of being veg*n.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have some good suggestions to replace those ads? I, personally, would love it if it sways omnivores.
Can you deny that butchery is immoral?
It's not like we are exaggerating... We are just pointing facts.
A lot of veg*ns aren't veg*n because they are animal lovers, they just want peace.
Quote:
A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral. -- Leo Tolstoy
Quote:
For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love. -- Pythagoras
I don't understand how someone can be against rape/killing/etc and than considers it alright to slaughter animals with such violence.

I understand we shouldn't be attacking omnivores, and there is a thin line between attacking, preaching and explaining.
Everybody tip-toes down that line.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. They are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Hmm okay then.
That is witty, but only if you take what I say out of context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwrinkles View Post

1. I'm sorry you think our race is superior, committing genocide always is a marker of a great species.
2. If we only led by example and never explained what we were doing and why, there would a lot less people switching to veg*nism.

You don't need to take a course in advertising to tell people the benefits of being veg*n.
1. Superiority and equality are not the same thing.
2. There is a difference in seeking out to explain and explaining in response. By being a silent example, people leave room for others to ask questions. Then it is their curiosity that may sway them, rather than an individual trying to push their ideals onto another. The latter is less likely to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGEV View Post

Do you have some good suggestions to replace those ads? I, personally, would love it if it sways omnivores.
Can you deny that butchery is immoral?
It's not like we are exaggerating... We are just pointing facts.
A lot of veg*ns aren't veg*n because they are animal lovers, they just want peace.

I don't understand how someone can be against rape/killing/etc and than considers it alright to slaughter animals with such violence.

I understand we shouldn't be attacking omnivores, and there is a thin line between attacking, preaching and explaining.
Everybody tip-toes down that line.
I know people are sharing facts and I can appreciate their intentions. I do not dislike the enthusiasm or the message. I just recognize that the presentation more often does not work and may even do harm. Pointing out the facts is not enough. If people were logical beings that yielded to facts and reason then we would live in a much better world. Sadly this is not how people are, and I believe your examples show this.

Tip-toeing is very true. Perhaps people have ideas on how better to represent our ideals. I would very much so be interested in segwaying into that topic if people want to share ideas. Your inquiry on ideas has inspired me to consider options as well. I am going into oral surgery in about an hour but when I get some time I want to do some reading before putting forth some ideas.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob3 View Post

That is witty, but only if you take what I say out of context.
It wasn't meant to be witty, I just disagreed with your starkly hierarchical perspective.

It seems to me that since your own values create a clear moral hierarchy, you object to any moral comparisons. However, I think that
1) those comparisons aren't necessarily about making no moral distinction between humans and other animals, but they're rather just about extending the moral language and moral concepts used to characterize violence against humans to also characterize violence against non-humans
2) I think there definitely needs to be a challenging of the status quo, and not just the status quo of how animals are in fact treated, but also the status quo of how animals are seen as commodities (which can't really be separated from the former); and various provocative moral comparisons have their place in this respect

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I find myself trying to sway family members and good friends, and I try to keep it low-key, to not seem to be trying to. Having a friend means being accepted for who you are and I want them to be comfortable with my vegetarianism. And I try to communicate that as two-way respect and comfort. I showed a few people the "ask your doctor about...meat" video I saw here on veggieboards. The first thought it was preachy, and when I showed it to others I prefaced it with "This is a little preachy but really well done" and it went over better. With another, who does some theater work, I mentioned that the voiceover reminded me of something he (my friend I was showing it to) could have done himself.

But mostly, I feed them. That's leading by example plus a little extra spin on the ball.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I heart Psychonauts.
Not if you take the psychedelic road. Too fast, you don't have the spiritual strength to deal with revelation.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Most people believe very similar things to what we believe when it comes to animals. 97% of Americans in a recent poll reported being "strongly opposed to animal cruelty." 64% went so far as to say that farm animals should have the exact same rights as cats and dogs.

The problem is, modern industrial society hides animals' suffering from consumers. Many people make it fully into adulthood without realizing the connection between the values they already have and animal suffering. Since we have already established most people oppose suffering and animal cruelty, it makes sense to help draw the connection for them.

One might be tempted to make the health argument for animals, but there is strong reason to believe this ends up hurting more animals, especially chickens.

As for your suggestion that people can not be swayed or impressed by an appeal to their ethics, well.

I could type a thousand words or show you a picture. I'm a straight to the chase kinda guy so here's your evidence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.