VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in an apartment and am moving to another apartment in a month that has a balcony. Whoo Hooo! What do you suggest for an apartment garden? Anything?

I tried growing herbs in the place I live now and that worked out pretty well but I would like to grow some veggies too.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
This is something I'd like to learn about, also. ^_^

I would need to make sure that any pots or containers used were somewhat decorative to stay within the codes at my complex. ^^;;

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Well done on your balcony friend!

Does your balcony have railings that you can make use of???

What other features might you be able to make use of located on the balcony?? ie, Overhanging features maybe that you can add or attach fixtures to, (that can be easily taken off when you move again).

Also, measure out the size if you will to give us some idea of proximities for the space available to you!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I miss my balcony, it was huge (6ftX20ft) we had it screened off so my cats could sit outside. We grew everything out there, including pumpkins! You can pretty much go crazy just as long as you get the right size pots. Obviously some plants require more space then others.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a nice-sized balcony, but it's mostly shade. Does anyone know any edible things that would survive that?

·
Registered
0 Posts
In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash,

eggplants) are the least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and

turnips. Shade tolerant leafy vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and radiccio. Broccoli (and its

relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips, mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You can grow anything in pots, but some things do better than others.

Herbs are always good balcony choices - any kind.

Dwarf cherry tomatoes can be grown from a hanging pot.

Strawberries do well in containers.

Greens and small radishes do well (though I don't know if you'd want to devote your space to them if it's at such a premium)

If I was gardening only on my balcony I'd stick to herbs (expensive fresh) - and speciality items that are difficult to come by or expensive in stores.

Shade: Don't know many herbs or veggies that do well in shade. My mint does okay though - and it's all in a shaded area.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a pretty large patio with my ground floor apartment.. and I basically built a classic garden for most of my stuff. I got some leftover plywood from a friend and made a square frame.. then I filled in the whole thing with some gravel for drainage and spent way too much money to fill it in with potting soil. I only grow 2 kinds of lettuce, cabbage and herbs in that since it's so shallow.. but I also have strawberries, cherry tomatoes, baby corn and peas growing out of really big pots with garden stakes for the plants' support.

All of that takes up about 1/2 of my patio.. of which I would guess is maybe 6ft deep by 20 or 25 feet long. I would suggest for other veggies that you get the longest, widest, deepest planting boxes you can and drill extra holes in the bottoms for more drainage. My strawberries are in this kind of pot since they're just ground-spreading.. but I also have some really cute houseplants in those kind of boxes.

Hope this helps you guys just starting out!

Courtney

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'd like to have a deck garden. Our deck is small but has a sunny area and a shaded area. My question is how to deter the hungry squirrels that I'm afraid would savage my labor. Would putting a light wire type dome be sufficient? I'd appreciate any ideas.

A few weeks ago, a squirrel got into our apartment and ate all my herbs I was growing on a windowsill.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

A few weeks ago, a squirrel got into our apartment and ate all my herbs I was growing on a windowsill.
I'm sorry, but the thought of a squirrel in your apartment, munching contentedly on herbs, makes me smile.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirtDiva

I have a pretty large patio with my ground floor apartment.. and I basically built a classic garden for most of my stuff. I got some leftover plywood from a friend and made a square frame.. then I filled in the whole thing with some gravel for drainage
Wow!

What a project to do from scratch. I can't even hammer a nail, but I want to learn to be more handy once I buy my house.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Will you grow in containers? A wire cage/dome over the whole growing area may be the ultimate solution but it might be overkill?? (and expensive and ugly) Maybe you could come up with a per-container solution which would prevent them to crawl up - although they still could jump then?? Hmm....

I have no idea if this works, but try applying some hot pepper on the plants/fruit. This should teach them a good lesson - hopefully squirrels have a good memory!
Though I'd definitely try to build some physical barrier first.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I posted this somewhere else before but the squirrel ate not only the herbs I had , he ate a whole red onion, a bulb of garlic, 2 avocados, tried taking my plum tomatoes, some apples and pears. He also ate all the leaves off my peace lily which sits on my kitchen floor! My husband and I also woke up to a little paw scratching under our bedroom door reaching for a small ball of our son's ( I guess he thought it was a nut! ) Talk about a crazy few days!

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll have to create some sort of squirrel barrier- sorry for interrupting this thread with my squirrel drama.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I've grown them in pots before Bethanie. They do fine. Just get a big enough container (or choose a dwarf variety specifically for pots) - keep it in full sun location - and don't forget to water it

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a really big deck off my apartment and this year I have three Red Bell Pepper plants, a Grape Tomato, a Cherry Tomato, two Yellow Squash, several Herbs, a Rose bush, several species of Lilys and my Orchids are out for the season. So far, everything is doing well. last year I had the same veggies and they worked great. Main thing I found is that you really need to stay up on your watering and feed them more than you would if they were in the ground. RapidGro suggests every two weeks for those in pots.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Whoa Bean - talk about making use of square footage!!

Chile type peppers are my favorite (jalapeno, cayenne, hungarian wax, etc.) - they grow like weeds and the bugs tend to stay away form them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts