VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone adds MSM to their foods and if so, what benefits have you had?

I was taking MSM (in the powder form in my water) about a year ago and wasn't noticing much happening - maybe it takes a while for results to happen. I wasn't very consistent with it and I think it supposed to be better to take with a food that is high in Vitamin C which I wasn't doing. I heard of people having good thick hair growth and it is good for your skin. I am thinking about adding it to my diet again.

Also, if anyone using any products with MSM (like shampoo or lotion) I would be interested in hearing about any stories as I think about buying some MSM shampoo and lotion for my skin.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i'm curious about this, too. i've read lots of people who have used it consistently have noticed a difference.

i know over at RFT there's quite a bit about it there.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am bumping this a bit because I wanted to share my MSM experiences.

So, i have been taking the MSM for a few weeks now and using the MSM lotion (sometimes I don't get the amount I want for the day but I am doing pretty good).

I have to say that the MSM lotion is a miracle lotion. I LOVE it.

I have been applying it day and night to my acne scars on my cheeks and I can't believe how much smoothier they look already and also the lines that were starting to form around my eyes. My skin looks firmer too (I am 37 so I getting to that age where I think I am starting to show age...eek!)

I am not sure about how the powder is effecting me. It might be improving my skin too. My hair does seem to be growing faster but right now my hair is a mess because I am trying to detox off of shampoo (4 weeks already!)

My tinnitus seems to have lessen though but it goes up and down so I can't really tell if the MSM is responsible or not. MSM is supposed to help you detox. I have been 100% raw most of the time. My joint in my jaw feel better as those usually bother me - and MSM is supposed to be awesome for joints and arthritis.

So, I am going to continue taking it and definatley use the lotion!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used MSM for about 3 months. I don't know if it stared working in the stort time though. I know it's great for you hair and nails. I actually did have hair growth. I mean, i'm hypothyrodic so my hair grows slowly if now at all, and when I was in the MSM, my hair was growing back but slowly. I'm gonna start taking it again. I loved it.

I read from a lot of women that are using it to grow their hair. They love it. There is this lady who made her own MSM concoction and is selling it. Uses it on her own hair and my goodness, her hair grew so quickly and is sooooo thick and long. Wow. I couldn't believe it. Her product is selling like hotcakes LOL. I was gonna get me some but it costs a lot. It's about $17. It's just a mixture of oils (i don't know which oils she used) and some MSM. That's a lot to me. LOL. Here is her fotki site if you wanna see her hair:

http://members.fotki.com/Caisha/about/

Ok mind you that she has natural hair, meaning she doesn't have a perm. So if you pull or stretch her hair out, you can see the real length of it, and looking at her hair unstretched, her hair is reallyyyy long LOL.

What about Biotin? Are you using that? It's great for hair too. I'm taking that. I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I am not taking any biotin - I hate swallowing any sort of pill or capsules which is why I like the powdered MSM. I remember taking biotin supplements a long time ago for my hair and I never really noticed a difference. I don't think I have a biotin deficiency.

The no shampooing thing is really working out too. My hair is still on the funky side right now but a one month in and it is really starting to adjust. My hair feels thicker. Even though I was using a very natural organic shampoo - my hair still never grew right and always seemed on the dryer side and scalp always felt tight. My scalp no longer feels tight. Plus, having ear problems, I was concerned about the ingredients effects on getting in my ear (they say shampoos and condititioner can cause problems in the ears)

And now taking the MSM, a certain section that never seemed to hardly grow at long - looks alot longer.

MSM is helping with so many things - I am pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just bought the pill form, i've only taken 3 so far so I can't really tell how its working yet. I don't eat a lot of fruit so i'm wondering if i'll get results at all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
this thread is older, but i don't think so much that i can't bump it?

anyway, i'm currently researching msm, mainly for hair growth (but am starting to think some of the other things it supposedly does would be great, too). anyone else have any tales to add to the small heap here?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've used it for about 6 months now, my nails have gotten really really strong now. I can't tell with my hair because I wear braids but i'm sure its pretty long now and its soft.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've taken it in pill form before. I used to take it everyday to prevent headaches, now I just don't get them very much anymore. It works really well for me if I take it with a pain reliever (Advil, Excedrin etc.) when I have a headache.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
MSM 1000 mg with 1000 mg Vitamin C 3 times daily is a therapeutic dose according to my doctor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have tried both the liquid form and capsule form and it all upsets my stomach. Is there anything I can do to lessen the negative side affects?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts