VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right section because they are not domesticated.. but...

I have 3 ponds in my garden... and lucky enough to have plenty of wildlife in them. Started off with frogs, now got newts (as well as lots of other little things lol).

A few years ago we started getting our first newts, started with the smooth newts, then had some of the palmate ones.

Recently been watching them in one pond and saw some a little different and was wondering if these would be the great crested? Or if they'd just be smooth newts which have bigger tails... i don't know!

Managed to get hold of a couple today and take photos (didn't harm them and let them go straight away)

Any ideas?

Ooh also got loads of tadpoles surviving this year, so hopefully have loads of baby frogs around soon!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of newts they are, but they look a lot like some I used to have as pets. I used to have a lot of fire bellies and some with yellow green like yours but I don't remember what they were called. If it gets really dry out, check to see if they are wandering off and if so, maybe mist the area. These are wild and they should know how to survive, but mine in captivity would escape and then I'd find them dehydrated 10 feet away. Sometimes I revived them, sometimes not.

I don't believe in buying pets like this anymore, in case anyone wonders. (and btw, frogs can eat newts, something else I learned having them as pets, but don't worry, they tried but weren't successful.)

BTW- thanks for sharing, I'd love to see wild newts and salamanders! I love them.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awwww thanks. They seem to like hiding under the rocks in the summer. Didn't know frogs ate newts!! At the moment they are way out numbering the frogs.... so i think they're not being eaten.. hehe.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was turned into a newt once, but I got better... oh wait, uh, nevermind! ^_^; (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Anyway, hes really cute, like everyone said. ^_^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts