VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Other than medications to get rid of the symptoms I've never heard of a "get rid of" method.<br><br><br><br>
As far as decreasing a problem, not sure if it'd work, but maybe wearing a mask to filter out some of the pollen and stuff if you go outside?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I wish!!! The only thing that "gets rid" of my symptoms is medication either over the counter or prescription. However one thing that has helped me a lot -since I am allergic to dust mites along with pollen and such - is to buy these allergy bags for my pillows and mattress. My allergist recommended these bags because they trap the dust mites in my mattress. I have noticed a difference since I started using them. Hot tea and breathing steam (I use the shower) sometimes helps with congestion and headaches.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is the first year that I've finally had to give in and take prescriptiong meds for my allergies--they seem to be getting worse as I get older... Up until last year I just carried tissues where ever I went and just put up with it. But, my eyes started to get too watery, even when I took out my contacts, so now I shell out the $ and live tissue free. I felt like I was 'giving in' to my allergies by going to the Dr, but seriously, I feel SO much better now, I wish I'd gone in a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use a prescription med. if it's really BAD.<br><br><br><br>
To avoid the prescrip. med. I try to stay super hydrated during allergy season, and in cooler places if at all possible. Cool compresses on the eyes helps out. I wear contact lenses and they get a little bothered so I try to wear my glasses during the high parts of allergy season.<br><br><br><br>
I haven't figured out how to GET RID of the symptoms without the prescrip. but these other things help to lessen the severity.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I found a solution to this many years ago when I walked into a health food store complaining of allergies, watery eyes, the whole works. I don't think that is even what I went in there for that day, but they guy gave me some bee pollen and as soon as it hit my tongue the symptoms went away. I already know you will all say that is not a vegan solution and I knew that before mentioning it because I have heard the discussions about honey, but I had to at least bring it up because at least it is not a drug. I haven't used it in years, and normally just suffer through it. This year I didn't have a choice but to suffer through allergy season because I am pregnant and won't take any drugs unless absolutely necessary for the baby's sake.<br><br><br><br>
hopefully by now your symptoms are gone

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What I do is put a plastic bag over my head, seal it around my neck with a rubberband or something, and then go for a jog or some other vigorous activity until I die. Repeat as necessary.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Sorry, in a mischievous mood, and the only thing that seems to help my symptoms are drugs and avoidance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just keep introducing myself to my allergy triggers until I stop feeling ill around them. My husband used to be allergic to cats, but when I moved in with him, he had to adapt to Joli. I've been allergic to dogs and grass in the past, but my parents loved dogs and hated mowing lawns, so I had to get over it at a young age. If you try this method, be careful. If you introduce too much of the allergen at one time, you may end up in a coma.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Be careful with bee pollen, they might contain the pollen you are allergic against and provoke an attack.<br><br>
Acute, threatening symptoms can be downregulated with inhalative steroids, which are supposed to have no systemic effect; if that means promotion of osteoporosis it´s wright, but you have a higher risk of fungal infections (candida) in the mouth and pharynx.<br><br>
Subacute symptoms can be relieved with non-steroidal sprays, which contain H1-Blockers.<br><br>
Best way would be to find out the allegene and then try to stay away from it. Or, trying to get a desensitization therapy, which takes some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts