VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,188 Posts
Other than medications to get rid of the symptoms I've never heard of a "get rid of" method.

As far as decreasing a problem, not sure if it'd work, but maybe wearing a mask to filter out some of the pollen and stuff if you go outside?

· Registered
1,496 Posts
I wish!!! The only thing that "gets rid" of my symptoms is medication either over the counter or prescription. However one thing that has helped me a lot -since I am allergic to dust mites along with pollen and such - is to buy these allergy bags for my pillows and mattress. My allergist recommended these bags because they trap the dust mites in my mattress. I have noticed a difference since I started using them. Hot tea and breathing steam (I use the shower) sometimes helps with congestion and headaches.

· Registered
724 Posts
This is the first year that I've finally had to give in and take prescriptiong meds for my allergies--they seem to be getting worse as I get older... Up until last year I just carried tissues where ever I went and just put up with it. But, my eyes started to get too watery, even when I took out my contacts, so now I shell out the $ and live tissue free. I felt like I was 'giving in' to my allergies by going to the Dr, but seriously, I feel SO much better now, I wish I'd gone in a couple of years ago.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
I use a prescription med. if it's really BAD.

To avoid the prescrip. med. I try to stay super hydrated during allergy season, and in cooler places if at all possible. Cool compresses on the eyes helps out. I wear contact lenses and they get a little bothered so I try to wear my glasses during the high parts of allergy season.

I haven't figured out how to GET RID of the symptoms without the prescrip. but these other things help to lessen the severity.

· Registered
231,487 Posts
I found a solution to this many years ago when I walked into a health food store complaining of allergies, watery eyes, the whole works. I don't think that is even what I went in there for that day, but they guy gave me some bee pollen and as soon as it hit my tongue the symptoms went away. I already know you will all say that is not a vegan solution and I knew that before mentioning it because I have heard the discussions about honey, but I had to at least bring it up because at least it is not a drug. I haven't used it in years, and normally just suffer through it. This year I didn't have a choice but to suffer through allergy season because I am pregnant and won't take any drugs unless absolutely necessary for the baby's sake.

hopefully by now your symptoms are gone

· Registered
12,558 Posts
What I do is put a plastic bag over my head, seal it around my neck with a rubberband or something, and then go for a jog or some other vigorous activity until I die. Repeat as necessary.

Sorry, in a mischievous mood, and the only thing that seems to help my symptoms are drugs and avoidance.

· Registered
231,487 Posts
I just keep introducing myself to my allergy triggers until I stop feeling ill around them. My husband used to be allergic to cats, but when I moved in with him, he had to adapt to Joli. I've been allergic to dogs and grass in the past, but my parents loved dogs and hated mowing lawns, so I had to get over it at a young age. If you try this method, be careful. If you introduce too much of the allergen at one time, you may end up in a coma.

· Registered
2,029 Posts
Be careful with bee pollen, they might contain the pollen you are allergic against and provoke an attack.

Acute, threatening symptoms can be downregulated with inhalative steroids, which are supposed to have no systemic effect; if that means promotion of osteoporosis it´s wright, but you have a higher risk of fungal infections (candida) in the mouth and pharynx.

Subacute symptoms can be relieved with non-steroidal sprays, which contain H1-Blockers.

Best way would be to find out the allegene and then try to stay away from it. Or, trying to get a desensitization therapy, which takes some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.