VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals

I did a search but nothing came up, surprisingly.

I'm looking for good popcorn brands that are vegan and preferably the low-fat/light/natural kind.

Years ago there was one I loved that was extremely low-cal but I can't remember what it was

Any options you might know of would be awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
1/4 cup popcorn kernels + paper bag, folded shut + microwave!

Add vegan margarine or whatever you like. All popcorn is microwaveable!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might try making my own, but I've been too scared to try! hee hee. It sure is a bargain compared to the pre-packaged kind, that's for sure!

If I do it on the stove, do I have to add oil? I want to make as low-cal as possible!

Do you know which microwavable popcorn brands are vegan though?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I airpop. It seems they are harder to find now, but I got mine at a thrift store for 1.50.

However, I wouldn't mind which microwavable brands are vegan myself.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
If you were looking for vegan microwave popcorn, I recommend Newman's Own organics Pop's Corn popcorn. It's plain and unsalted. You get to add whatever you want to it.

The downside is that's it's REALLY hard to find. I can never find it at Whole Foods or Wild Oats, never mind the regular markets. The local co-op used to carry it, but no more. I've been hoarding the box I bought last year...

ETA: You can always order it from amazon, but you'd have to get it in bulk.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I used to have this microwave popcorn bowl where you put in the popcorn, put on this vented lid, and microwaved it and it made you a bowl of popcorn. I lost the lid though. lol. I usually just make it on the stove now if I want popcorn.

Alton Brown says to make it in a paper bag in the microwave, and to staple it shut, and two staples, one on each side, won't make the microwave react to the metal. I'm too scared to find out.

Amy -- we sell that at the co-op here. I can mail you some, not in bulk, if you need it.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Alton Brown says to make it in a paper bag in the microwave, and to staple it shut, and two staples, one on each side, won't make the microwave react to the metal. I'm too scared to find out.
I'd be scared to find out, too!

Quote:

Amy -- we sell that at the co-op here. I can mail you some, not in bulk, if you need it.
Thank you for the offer! I was thinking that if I still can't find it when I want it again, I'll see if one of the local stores will special order it for me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

I used to have this microwave popcorn bowl where you put in the popcorn, put on this vented lid, and microwaved it and it made you a bowl of popcorn. I lost the lid though. lol. I usually just make it on the stove now if I want popcorn.

Hmm, Ok, I'm getting sold on the idea of popping it on my own now! haha
I do love Alton Brown, and if he says it's safe to put a paper bag in the microwave then I put my faith in his massive culinary expertise.
hehe.

How do you make it on the stove? I have NO clue whatsoever! Do you put it in a pot? And do you need oil?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

Hmm, Ok, I'm getting sold on the idea of popping it on my own now! haha
I do love Alton Brown, and if he says it's safe to put a paper bag in the microwave then I put my faith in his massive culinary expertise.
hehe.

How do you make it on the stove? I have NO clue whatsoever! Do you put it in a pot? And do you need oil?
You take a big pot (with a lid! very important), and put a wee bit of oil in the bottom (I've made it without, but it seems to stick)... let the oil heat up. Drop in about 3 kernals of popcorn and put the lid on the pot. When you hear them pop, the pot is ready to add the rest. Add a few tbsp - 1/4 cup of popcorn depending on how many people you're feeding and how big your pot is... put the lid on, and do "the popcorn dance" (as we called it in my house growing up, as this was the only popcorn cooking method we knew)... grab the pan handle(s) and shake around the popcorn until the popping slows down to about 20 seconds between pops. Turn off the stove.. open the lid.. TADAA!! popcorn!

Here's the link to Alton Brown's brown paper method: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh great!! Thanks for the directions, it sounds so easy. Next time we go food shopping I'll pick up some kernals...I've been craving popcorn lately so I'm probably more excited than a person should be about making popcorn, Hahah!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I get the Whole Foods kids brand, Wholekids. It doesn't taste like traditional microwave popcorn, but it's good!

Orville Redenbacher's Light Butter popcorn is vegan. I haven't bought it in about a year though.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
This thread is making me totally hungry for popcorn!

Good thing I have lunch bags and popping corn on hand for nukerwave popcorn...

btw, I've tried the staple method AND the tape method for sealing the bag shut. They're both a right PITA, IMO so for me, a good folding seals the bag well enough to pop in.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I was so scared I would have to give up popcorn when I went vegan, it's my favourite snack food. I buy a big family-sized bag of kernels and just pop them on the stove, but for future reference, I think microwaveable Kettle Corn (popcorn that's sweet and salty rather than buttery) is usually vegan - I know I picked up a box a few weeks ago, but I don't remember what brand it was. I checked the ingredients a couple times and it didn't have any ominous "natural flavour" that butter-flavoured popcorn often does.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Man, you guys got me craving some popcorn real bad.
Just made myself a batch and ate it with a little chili powder and lime juice, yummm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can I just say, all popcorn is automatically vegan and vegetarian. Just buy some popcorn and pop it in a pot on your stove! How can there be any question about whether or not popcorn is "vegan"? This is stupid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanLady View Post

Can I just say, all popcorn is automatically vegan and vegetarian. Just buy some popcorn and pop it in a pot on your stove! How can there be any question about whether or not popcorn is "vegan"? This is stupid.
Because most popcorn sold in stores is of the pre-buttered variety.

Personally, I've been thinking of hunting down some plain popcorn, not just to eat in the usual way, but also to eat cereal-style with some sugar and rice milk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts