VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Storage & Selection

The key to selecting a non-bitter eggplant is freshness. Therefore, look for an eggplant that is not too large that is lighter in weight-it will have fewer seeds that can cause bitterness. The flesh should spring back when pressed. All eggplant should be shiny and firm (but not rock hard) with a taut skin that is free of blemishes (such as wormholes or dark brown spots) or bruises. Heavy scarring is an indication of poor handling, but small scarring may just signal wind damage. A dull skin and rust-colored spots are a sign of age.

http://www.tonytantillo.com/vegetables/eggplant.html

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I used to work with a chick and I believe she used to dry it out, roll it, and smoke it. It was cheaper than pot and she had to have some kinda smoke to provide to her ex-con boyfriend. Had to save her money for propane. Propane this and propane that....that is what eggplant will do to you...be careful.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Slice it and brush both sides with flavored oil (I use rosemary olive oil). Then place these slices on a tray and bake at 450 for aprox. 25 minutes. Great as a sandwitch filling.

Saute it in curry, with tofu, potatoes and mushrooms.

Put in pasta sauces.

Umm Kreeli has a eggplant Gonochi recipie (I think). It's devine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Eggplant is yummy

My mum used to dry it out before cooking it by slicing it, placing it on some napkins and sprinkling some salt on top to take away the bitterness. But I think it's yum as it is.

It's delicious in a pasta bake or stir fry. Oh or when they put it in Greek salads with roasted capsicum....YUM!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Eggplant causes reflex vomiting. I've never tried syrup of Ipecac, but I'd bet it is similar. I love the flavor of eggplant. RsJ's recipe above is making my mouth water. But I don't like to vomit, so I avoid eating it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"Anyone know anything about eggplant?"

I know the following eggplant factoids ...

1 ... it is a plant

2 ... it is not an egg

Glad I could help

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
we mostly eat Japanese Eggplant around here. it grows long (12" - 16") and skinny (about 1 1/2" dia. ) and doesn't need salting or extra prep. just slice it up and toss in into your stir-fry or curry. yummy mushy goodness!

·
Registered
828 Posts
-It's a member of the potato family

-it is poisonous if eaten raw.

-Some people call them 'aubergines'.

-used in ratatouille (yummy)

-they soak up more oil than almost any other vegetable

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

Eggplant causes reflex vomiting. I've never tried syrup of Ipecac, but I'd bet it is similar. I love the flavor of eggplant. RsJ's recipe above is making my mouth water. But I don't like to vomit, so I avoid eating it.
Wow, thank you Soilman. I am honored that recipe sounds good to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts