VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Hurricane Irene is headed straight for you, and is going to be a Category 3 by the time it hits the Myrtle Beach area. We're expecting rain here in Florida, but nothing serious. I have friends on the barrier islands in SC, and some have already evacuated. Voluntary evacuations are going on all up the coastline, because even skimming by, a 100 mph storm can do a lot of damage on a barrier island.<br><br>
I'm praying that everyone is smart enough to leave, and that it doesn't do a lot of damage. I saw the damage that Hugo did up there, and it was not pretty. Living in FL, I know all too well what damage a Cat. 3 storm can do. I lived through 2004, the worst hurricane season we ever had, with 5 major storms hitting the state within 2 months. Three of them went right over or skimmed by where I was living at the time.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I remember hurricane Hugo (1989). Some exchange students from Germany were concerned about it and I told them hurricanes can't hit us very hard (in Charlotte NC at the time). Wow, I was wrong. We got clobbered.<br><br>
I'll keep an eye out for this one. I try not to underestimate things anymore.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My cousin and my daughter just came back from Myrtle Beach today, thank goodness!<br>
A friend/co-worker is driving to Outer Banks on Sunday...hope it doesn't hit there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts