VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else here is into Hockey. For me, I guess I'm what you call a die-hard Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Been one as far back as I can remember.

Anyone else into NHL and, if so, who's your team. I think I read in another thread somewhere that LF was a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but I could be wrong.

Anyway... if you're fan, speak up.

PS: I can take the Leaf-bashing too... been taking that all my life, especially from Canadian's fans

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Leafs? booooooooooo

yeah i'm a Pens fan but they're sucking really badly so i'm not even watching this season. all cause they let Jagr go

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Jagr just isn't at the same level since leaving Pittsburgh. I think what they lack more than anything right now is quality goaltending, and need Lemieux/Straka to stay healthy.

Hehhee, I think you're one of the first people I've seen online, living in Ontario, who isn't a Leafs or Senators fan.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
senators? baaaaahahahahaha!

i don't know anyone who's a senators fan. i mean that.

uhh.. but yeah when Jagr left others followed and the whole team basically fell apart, i was quite sad
Straka does rock though, so yeah if they pull it together they might come out ok. if Mario doesn't die of old age by then

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm not particularly into hockey, but that might just be because my family isn't. I've never been to a game, but a friend of mine who works at the CSU Convocation Center offered to procure some Lumberjacks tickets for me. Free tickets are free tickets, and it's something new, so I think I'll go.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

senators? baaaaahahahahaha!

i don't know anyone who's a senators fan. i mean that.
Geez, they come out of the woodwork on the other boards I am on (ctvsportsnet especially). And its always good to go back and watch the whining each year as the Leafs knock them outta the playoffs

Seriously though, the Sens fans on the other boards are rabid about "their" team. Lots of Flyers fans there too.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
only games i've been to other than highschool, were OHL games (Ontario Hockey League) but now my hometown's team was sold off to some town in Michigan (some town right on the ontario-US border)

but we're hoping to make a trip to Buffalo sometime for a Pens game (we being myself, my bf and my roommate, all Pens fans, purely coincidental)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
all Pens fans, purely coincidental
Ha!

Yeah, some of the OHL games were quite good. I like Junior hockey a lot too. The guys are hungry, and lots of hits/scraps. We had the Oilers farm team here for several years, then they moved to some other city. Now he have the "Cape Breton Screaming Eagles" as our local team (part of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). Those games get pretty rough, its great

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah the Cens games were always brutal. (North Bay Centennials)

my bf's cousin plays for the Devils farm team. he should've been NHL by now but they overlooked him and now he's probably too old to get in

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Booohisss MAple Leafs!

Am I into HOCKEY? ("Well I play air hockey table hockey road hockey...hockey hockey hockey hockey..." <- remember that ol' song? heehee)

I USED to be a huge MTL fan, but that it a bit like masochism these days.
bums.

Otherwise, I hold out for any of the Original (Canadian) teams from back in the day. Also pains me that the Oilers no longer kick ass too, as I used to stay up late with my Daddy when I was little to watch Gretzky play... *sigh*

I named the cow next door "Mike Bossy" when I was small. (Turns out that guy isn't too nice. My friend met him. Bossy told him to go **** himself... somewhat provoked, but that's another story for another day...)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I deste the Maple Leafs. For two reasons: Darcy Tucker and Eddie Belfour.

The Caps are my home team, but I'm not much of a Jagr fan, though. I don't really have a favorite team, but I definitely dig the Blues. I'm actually going to see the Caps play the Blues at the end of this month. I can't wait.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FemmeDemonica: Darcy Tucker and Eddie Belfour

You know, I don't think anyone gave Belfour as little a chance at making it again than I did. I had zero faith in bringing Belfour to Toronto, but I am impressed with how he has played.

As for Tucker, the problem with him is he does have the ability to actually play the game and score goals (as Tie Domi has been proving lately), but Tucker seems to lean towards the dirty style of play far too often and I question many of the hits he delivers that are deemed as "clean".

As for the Blues, I still have trouble believing that with all the talent they've had the past several years, why they have not gone farther in the playoffs. They've had a ton of talent go through that organization.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
AIR HOCKEY????? DID SOMEONE SAY AIR HOCKEY???? My little sister was in the newspaper for playing airhockey when she was 3! Actually, it was an article about what one family (mine) did for the non-event of Y2K. A reporter was assigned to spend New Year's Eve with a family, and she chose us. Hope got in the newspaper because she was playing airhockey when the photojournalist walked down into the basement.

I also loved that airhockey table. It's a shame our volunteer movers permanently broke it while transporting it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's funny, Robert, that when Belfour left Dallas, I stopped disliking Dallas so much.
I don't know what it is, but something about him irritates the hell out of me. And, for some reason, I get so much satisfaction out of Cujo leaving the Leafs for Detroit.

I guess St. Louis' problem is that they're just not committed enough. I have to agree with you--they have tons of talent...but never get far with it, probably the farthest being losing to Colorado two years ago in the playoffs. And Pronger has been out for a while now... Not to make excuses or anything.

I really want Edmonton to do well. I am blown away at how fast those guys are. They're such a young team, but they really are a talent group of guys. I keep waiting for them to explode... I started watching them when Marty Reasoner was traded to them from St. Louis.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
you don't like Jagr?

Cujo's a whiner.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LadyFaille: Cujo's a whiner

I don't think so. He just wants to win really badly. He has never really won any sort of championship. With the Leafs, he just didn't think they had the determination, drive, players, coach or whatever to go all the way.

FemmeDemonica: ...that when Belfour left Dallas, I stopped disliking Dallas so much. I don't know what it is, but something about him irritates the hell out of me.

I was never a fan of Belfour. I always thought he was "diva" like. In his last couple of seasons with Dallas, it was well known he didn't practice with others, etc. I think trading him kind of knocked him down a peg or two. I still don't like the guy all that much, but I have new found respect for the talent he has at 37 years old. He's one of the leading goalies right now in the league again.

As for Edmonton, they always seem to find all these extremely talented young guys who will work for food. They don't make big bucks and always put a solid team on the ice. Makes me wonder what would happen if they did not need to be concerned about money so much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had no idea Belfour was 37!

And I think you're spot on, Robert, with regards to the whole money issue...although I have to say that hockey players, in general, seem to be a bit more humble and less concerned with $$ than most professional athletes, namely football and basketball players and even (my beloved) baseball players.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh geez, Baseball. Hehee, you know.. I used to be a huge fan of Baseball.. but I just lost all respect for all sides when it was determined money was more important than the World Series and they cancelled it.

I glance at it now and then on TV, but have not attended a game since nor sat and actually watched a full game. I just have no interest.

Baseball is "America's Pasttime". A lot of little kids idolized the players growing up, probably still do. But, did you know it costs as much as 300 bucks or more in some cities for two adults and two kids to attend a game, with a pop and hotdog each for the kids and two beers each for the adults?

That's a lot of money to spend for 3 hours for many families. But hey, gotta give that guy the big money or he will not play here.

I'll tell you something that burns my ass. At one time just to be drafted or selected to play in the professional level of a sport was enough. These days, there's just no loyalty. They get drafted now and refuse to play for the team that drafted them. Yet, it is the draft that is designed to let lesser performing teams improve their roster.

As much as I love hockey, the Canadian that I am, I can tell you, if the next round of collective bargaining agreement discussions forces a cancellation of a season or the playoffs, I'm bound to lose respect and interest there as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't want to change the subject at all, but I'm pretty new to hockey. I've only been keeping up with it for about four years or so. Now baseball, I grew up watching baseball. I played softball in high school. I spent my summers watching AAA ball, and watched many players graduate to major league. Our local team is the Richmond Braves, and I watched folks like Javy Lopez, Andruw Jones, and Chipper Jones move up to Atlanta. It's...sorta nostalgic for me. *shrugs* I don't know. I love it. But the money stuff is sickening, I have to agree. I think major league baseball is well on its way to alienating its fan base.

I've never seen a MLB game live, though, so I had no idea it cost that much. For me, paying $6 to sit right above the third baseline, drinking a beer, and watching the Richmond boys play on a warm summer night is where it's at.

And back to hockey--we spent over $200 bucks on two tickets for the Caps vs. the Red Wings in Feb., and I think we may have gotten decent seats, but not great ones. Our tickets to see St. Louis this month cost about $24 each for nosebleed seats. It's worth every penny though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.