VeggieBoards banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

The article you reference talks about rice ... the OP is talking about AlkaSeltzer. I think there may be a difference of significant proportions. And even if they don't explode - I am pretty sure that a human dosage of Alka Seltzer cannot possibly be good for an animal that weights 1/100th (or less) of the weight the dose is calculated for.
Alka Seltzer is also an urban myth.

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/asktheexpert.php/49.html

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
It's an urban myth that they will explode.

But it's not an urban myth that stupid, cruel people feed Alka-Seltzer to seagulls to see if it works. True, the seagulls may just drop the tablets as they do when people throw them rocks (I have seen kids do this). But if they do ingest the tablets, they will probably die. Either way, the intent is cruelty, and I am very happy that the police took it seriously in this instance.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

Alka Seltzer is also an urban myth.

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/asktheexpert.php/49.html
I acknowledged that they do not explode (and I never said I believed that). What the quote you used says is that it is not good for an animal to receive a human dosage for Alka-Seltzer (or any other medication) as those doses are based on average weights of human beings - which is significantly higher than the vast majority of birds.

The difference of significant proportions to which I was referring is that rice will likely not kill birds but Alka-Seltzer will. A point which the Snopes article did not mention.

So while they will not explode they will most definitely be made ill and likely die from some twisted attempt to see what "really happens" when you feed Alka-Seltzer to birds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In detail, a bird has a crop and that is the first place an alka seltzer will usually start to foam. That will only make them sick and the foam will come out of their mouths.

Adult birds are capable of swallowing them and having them enter the stomach much sooner. The foaming action has nowhere to escape to as it does in the crop. In most cases the stomach will rupture and the bird will die. I have been present at several necropsies where this was the result of the alka seltzer thing. That is probably where the idea came from that they explode. If the stomach did not rupture, the dosage in a full tab of alka seltzer would most likely kill them. Birds are quite sensitive to things and even an overheated non stick pan can kill them.( good to know for anyone that has companion birds)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post

I responded with the same attitude as you originally had.

The only thing I was saying was that they will not explode. When people say that they can, when it's not true - I will point out things like that. If you have a problem with someone pointing out the truth, go ahead and use the ignore feature.

If you feel the need to jump on people when you think they didn't read the post, don't get grouchy if I point out that you didn't read the whole post.

Do we really wish to get into the details of what would happen? If you feel the need to get into the disgusting details when there is no reason to, go right ahead. Nowhere in here did I say anything about it being okay, so please don't infer that I did.

She said exploded and that was what I was commenting on, I never said it wasn't possible to pick up dead birds.
See, I actually think what she shared WAS important information. The article suggests that the alka seltzer was not dangerous to birds, by lumping it in with rice which is not harmful.

But from the very well documented information that Mrs. Key posted, everyone here at least knows that it IS harmful--indeed fatal, just not in the way many people think. I think that's important to know.

Your comments as well seemed to suggest (as you read the article exactly as I did), that alka seltzer wasn't harmful, when it is. I'm actually glad that mrs key cleared up that misinformation, if only here on vb.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

See, I actually think what she shared WAS important information. The article suggests that the alka seltzer was not dangerous to birds, by lumping it in with rice which is not harmful.

But from the very well documented information that Mrs. Key posted, everyone here at least knows that it IS harmful--indeed fatal, just not in the way many people think. I think that's important to know.

Your comments as well seemed to suggest (as you read the article exactly as I did), that alka seltzer wasn't harmful, when it is. I'm actually glad that mrs key cleared up that misinformation, if only here on vb.
I agree, I don't think the point is about who's right or wrong, or who's winning the internet argument, but the fact that these animals could be possibly killed by this inhumane act.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know about Alka Seltzer, but I have heard ducks that are used to taking handouts from people will eat quaterters and can be made to sink for $2.00.

There really are sick people in this world. Why can't we just leave the animals alone?
This can also cause the death of other animals. This turtle lived in an open pond which was viewed by tourists as a wishing fountain. Proves how something seemingly harmless can truly kill some wonderful animals.

(Side note: I can't put links, search the Smithsonian Mag website for Omsin the sea turtle.)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts