VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.<br><br><br><br>
Three years ago I went veg. A year and a half ago, vegan. When I went veg, I lost about 45lbs. Then, shortly b4 going vegan, I stopped losing.<br><br><br><br>
I am no potato chip, pop tart vegan, either. Actually, very concerned about eating well. Virtually no sweets, no booze, never drink sodas, all brown--no white. You know I'm not eating cholesterol. You get the idea, right?<br><br><br><br>
Anyway, I have totally stopped losing weight and I still have about 20lbs to go. The other day I started reading this book called Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard. It is a pro-vegan diet book, though subtly stated. It talks about the glycemic index of foods and about this hormone called leptin and how they can help you lose weight when managed properly, but doesn't really go into specific detail. I'm confused. Don't understand how al dente pasta can have a much lower glycemic index than fully cooked, for example.<br><br><br><br>
Anyone know where I can find a COMPREHENSIVE glycemic index list--including foods like Boca Burgers and other vegan fare? And what's this about mixing high glycemic index foods with low anyway?<br><br><br><br>
Anyone had any experience with losing weight (or gaining it) by paying attention to these two things? I'd like to hear your anecdotes.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The effective glycemic index of foods depends a lot on what you eat them with. The basic idea is, the slower the digestion and absorption of the carbohydrates, the lower the glycemic index. Fat, protein, fiber, and other things that slow digestion lower the glycemic index of a meal. So its an imperfect science, but if you want to eat lower glycemic index you make sure not only that the food sources aren't individually high index, but also that meals with carbs include some slow-digesting elements.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
More highly cooked food have a higher GI than food that is not cooked as much-- just as fruit that is soft and ripe has a higher GI than firm non-ripened food. A soft ripe bananna has a higher GI than a hard green bananna.<br><br><br><br>
I am not sure how you can regulate your leptin...the only thing I can see is sleep more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts