VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to Wikipedia article.

It's a fantastic release. It's various songs remixed, remastered, mashed together and re-arranged by George Martin -- the producer of the Beatles albums -- and his son, with the approval of Paul, Ringo, Harrison's widow and Yoko Ono. The majority of the music sounds much stronger and more vibrant, it all makes better use of stereo -- it doesn't sound like a crappy remix album at all. I haven't heard the 5.1 surround sound mix yet, but it's definitely an album that would benefit from it (some songs, like Within You, Without You and Strawberry Fields Forever sound as if they've been produced by the members of Pink Floyd).

Has anyone else heard it yet?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
This album was originally created as a soundtrack for the new Cirque Du Soleil show of the same name...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmm, I might have to think about getting that. I don't usually enjoy cover versions of their tunes, but I don't mind different versions/arrangements by the artists themselves. I really enjoyed the anthologies and even prefer some of the earlier takes of certain songs, especially Strawberry Fields Forever and While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I'm listening to it for the first time right now. So far I think is the biggest dubbing train-wreck since "Chant."

·
Registered
614 Posts
I heard Strawberry Fields Forever on the radio a few days ago and at the end of it was thinking 'I don't know my Beatles that well' - 'cause I thought the end of it was a different song - turns out it was.

I don't own it, FWIW most I know that own it really like it.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I don't get it. I don't notice much of a difference in most songs. Sometimes the differences make the songs worse. Like the silent or quiet parts in 'Because' - I don't care what their function in the circus show is, but they're pretty pointless on the track. And putting many songs together, I don't like that. Maybe 'While my guitar gently weeps' was the only one where the new version was (slightly) better than the old.

I guess you have to be a really enthusiastic Beatles fan to care about those kind of cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have it and I love it. I have never heard Beatles music sound so good. It was almost like listening to brand new songs.

I also liked the remixes and such.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Did George Lucas have anything to do with this?

It sounds like something he'd do.

Anyway, I like The Beatles's music just fine as it is and I'm far too reactionary, ornery, and close-minded to even give it a listen.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
At some point they're going to release a new Beatles album whose only difference to the previous release is that the cd booklet contains a typo correction. A lot of people would still buy it.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I wish they'd remake Paul's "Live and Let Die" and remove that damn redundant and dangling preposition.

"in this everchanging world in which we live in?" Ick. And in a Bond title!

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

At some point they're going to release a new Beatles album whose only difference to the previous release is that the cd booklet contains a typo correction. A lot of people would still buy it.
And I would imagine some people would still complain about it.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Yeah a new Beatles release probably wouldn't be significant enough to stop people from evaluating records.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Some mash-ups I like better, some I don't. But, overall, the sound quality is amazing. I just wish the 5.1 surround edition wasn't $8 more when I bought my standard CD version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts