VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have just done a bunch of reading on line, and apparently it's not that uncommon, although I've never had it happen before.

I guess you just have to skim it off, reheat till boiling, wash the original container out thoroughly, and pour back in.

the stuff on my syrup though wasn't fuzzy, but more of a film.....guess I'll have to go and heat up up.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I haven't, and if we get it, the syrup tends to hang out in the cupboard for ages and ages and ages.

Do they mean maple syrup with like, other stuff in it, like non 100% maple syrup?

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Just once. It was in the fridge, then I used it and put it in the pantry instead of the fridge. I guess it was the change in temp and the moisture.

I haven't had any issues otherwise. Usually I keep it in the fridge.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I had it happen once. Gets humid here in summer, all kinds of unwanted growth happens. Only had it happen on maple syrup once thankfully, because it is disconcerting.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess by all the people on Chowhound's site that commented on previous mold posts, it's a hit or miss issue. People leave it out and some refridgerate it, but it's an easy fix.

I think our sudden heat and humidity affected it too. The sugarer called twice in response to me calling and leaving a message on his phone. I thought that was pretty nice, but I couldn't take his calls due to wk.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I keep my maple syrup in the fridge, and I have never had any issues with mould.
Same here.

If the mold is gray, it is safe to salvage the food. If it is pink, discard the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it was a gray or tan film on it. It wasn't in round circles like some pics I found online, it was more of like what an oil slick would look like on top of water.....but it was say tan colored on top of the syrup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts