VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was told I have IBS, I ever really used to read all the bad stuff they put in food, its terrible. I now then became very concerned of what I'am eating and what I'am feeding my family. It's really quite alarming the things I have been reading about the toxins in meat and so on.

I would like to ask if anyone that follows a vegan lifestyle has or ever had IBS and if this lifestyle as helped control or stop the IBS symptoms?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I think it can... You still need to learn what triggers your IBS. It's possible to eat perfectly good food that irritates your body.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm not vegan, but limiting my consumption of dairy helped my IBS tremendously. It's still there, but let's just say I spend a lot less time in the bathroom now.

You have to find your own trigger foods. For me, dairy was a big one, but so are starches. If I eat too much bread/pasta/potatoes and not enough of some other sort of food, it's likely to upset my stomach. Sweet things make me ill almost as soon as they go down my throat, and I've found that corn is hard for me to digest and may result in diarrhea or vomiting, so I have to be careful how much of it I eat.

Eating a healthier diet with less processed foods and animal products is a good idea for any health condition, or just to improve your general health. However, as froggy said, even 'healthy' food can trigger symptoms, so you have to know your own body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
after i was diagnosed with ibs i went back to being vegetarian after being vegan for about 6 years. i could not handle legumes anymore (except for hummus and some brands of soymilk). i don't drink cow's milk at all but am fine with eggs and small amounts of cheese. i don't know about meats because i've always been veg. but i agree that you have to find your own trigger foods.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I had IBS both before and after becoming a vegetarian. I stopped eating meat twelve years ago, and now I eat a largely vegan diet. I couldn't say if its made anything better or worse, though doctors always told me to stay on a low fat high fiber diet, which well planned vegetarian diets are naturally.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had a rather upset stomach after I switched to veganism, but only for about two weeks. I guess it is only my body getting used to veganism and not the diet itself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have IBS, but I'm not vegan. I found out my trigger was caffeine so I cut it out and now I don't get stomach cramps anymore.

Other common triggers are dairy products, alcohol, citrus fruits, chocolate etc, so if your trigger is dairy I guess a vegan diet would be good.

Try and do an exclusion diet (eating only plain food like potatoes then introducing a food each week) to find out your trigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told I have IBS about 6months ago. I have recently become vegan. I am completley dairy intolerant so that was easy to quit and I don't like red meat. My hard thing to quit is chicken, fish, and egg whites. I still slip with the egg whites and the fish. I have been feeling really great but I still have to be carefull about what vegs. I eat and in what order I eat them. Eliminating animal fat and proteins has cut my symptoms in half.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had IBS when I was younger. I have had some difficulty over the years with some bad ideas such as insane amounts of guarrana caffeen etc...I know, myself to blame
but the wierd thing is that it seems to have gotten a LOT WORSE since going vegan!! can't understand it. I have no idea what trigger I've increased in my diet but whatever it is I think I need it!! I limit myself already for a variety of reasons. To have to worry about IBS triggers too is going to drive me nuts!! then again, not reason enough for me to go back

·
Registered
30 Posts
I created a thread about this a little while ago. The long and short of it is, yes, I had IBS, and within a few days after discontinuing meat and milk it is totally gone. (I'm assuming that's the cause; I can't think of any other factors in my life that changed that drastically in such a short time.) I've noticed that when I add milk back in in any significant quantity, the problem comes back, so it may just have been mis-diagnosed lactose intolerance. At any rate I know that many with IBS have had their doctors suggest less meat and milk to them. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had more gas when I first went veg, but after about a month into it, my IBS issues pretty much went away after I stopped eating meat and cut back on dairy.

Things sometimes backslide when I don't get enough fiber (i.e., beans and greens) in my daily diet or if I eat dairy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have IBS. There is combining of soluable & non-soluable fiber and they order in which each are eaten that can make a big difference to IBS. Maybe this will help:

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/10_commandments.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjdoolan View Post

I had IBS when I was younger. I have had some difficulty over the years with some bad ideas such as insane amounts of guarrana caffeen etc...I know, myself to blame
but the wierd thing is that it seems to have gotten a LOT WORSE since going vegan!! can't understand it. I have no idea what trigger I've increased in my diet but whatever it is I think I need it!! I limit myself already for a variety of reasons. To have to worry about IBS triggers too is going to drive me nuts!! then again, not reason enough for me to go back

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'm vegetarian, not vegan (but I'm lactose-intolerant so I'm dairy-free, too), and I have IBS. I'm nearly symptom free now that I'm veg*n. I hadn't had a single IBS symptom that I can remember since January (when I went veg), until September (major stomach/diarrhea/vomiting issues - I also had a bacterial infection, but the doctor wasn't sure whether that or the IBS caused those things). So overall, I've had major improvement since going vegetarian. I think it's entirely possible and probably a good idea for you. As has been said, you need to figure out what foods make your symptoms worse. That might be meat, and it might not be, but either way cutting meat (and the related toxins) out of your diet surely is a good idea!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.