VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I'm embarrassed to even describe my experience with this blasted thing so far. but suffice it to say, every time my cat has a bit of an upset stomach....well, I have done my fair share of cleaning cat poo off of the rake.

I thought I almost broke it yesterday when I took a hose to the rake cuz it was just too nasty to wipe. WHO THOUGHT TO MAKE THE POOP RAKER THE MECHANICAL PART THAT CAN'T GET WET?!?!

I'm also soliciting advice on litter box odor control. My husband and I have a roommate who has a nose like Toucan Sam. We got the motorized litterbox to cut down on odor, switched litters to the odor control powerhouse litter, etc. Nothing seems to help. When all I can smell is the smell of the litter scent, he claims he cannot breathe in the room that has the litterbox. (its where he works out, so its a problem). there's nowhere else in the house it can go. it used to be in our room but when our other cat died and we got a new one, my husband is VERY allergic to the new one. hence it cant go in our room.

Anyhow, nevermind all that. just wondering if you had advice for odor control and/or tips for dealing with this satanic litterbox.

XOXO

beth

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have 2 Littermaids - the deluxe type. I have 9 cats so I wouldn't mind having a couple more.

I think it is so much better and less smelly than regular litterboxes. The better absorbency of the litter the less problems you will have with the rake. I just scrape mine (takes all of 5 seconds) off when I dump the waste receptacles.

As far as smell goes, I have 9 cats so there is always atleast some smell. I do keep it minimal by putting baking soda in the waste receptacles and in the litter. You might also want to put a small bowl of vinegar somewhere in the room.

You can also buy an electric odor eliminator thing (about $10 at Walmart) that uses filters. There is a fan noise to it though.

If you don't have the ramps and tents for your littermaid, I don't recommend them. The tent makes it a pain to clean and my cats rarely enter by the ramp.

Another option that I wish I could afford is one of these http://www.litterfree.com/ .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mine finally died this month after 5 years of Sputnik peeing on top of it, instead of in it.

I agree that baking soda is best for the smell and it extremely cheap.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had a litter maid with my previous kitty, he hated it! He frequently tried to do battle with the poop raker. I eventually went back to a conventional litter box because Fred would poop everywhere but in the litter maid.

DH and I just adopted a sweet kitty and I bought these volcanic rock things from http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ndSpec=111690. People walk in to my apartment and are truley suprised to see that I have a cat! Arm and Hammer makes this great litter box odor control stuff, mix it in with clean litter and it controls odor nicely.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
monkeyandbunny, are you on TheKnot? your "DH" reference clued me in.

(unless I'm wrong and this has been used on other computer things....)

when did you get married?

XOXO

Beth

(I am a Knot addict trying to wean myself off and use this board more frequently now...haha)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My best friend has a litter maid for her cats and she loves it! The only negative is one of her cats only goes on one side so the waste tray on that sides gets full quickly. I have been toying with getting one for my cat, but I don't know how she'll take to it. Right now, she always goes in her litter box with no problems and I don't want to mess up a good thing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
dakinirawk! Yes, I was a Knottie! I was married April 13, 2002, I went from the P&E boards to The newlywed board. I don't post all that frequently over there, too much estrogen! Although I will admit, I had a real addiction to the drama that seems to unfold on a daily basis. (*insert sarcasm* What flowers to put with my Navy Blue Bridesmaid dresses?)

I thought "DH" was universal, apparently it's not, errr duh

Nice to meet you!

Alison

PS. I love the Janeane Garafalo quote, it cracked me up!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
When I switched to Swheat Scoop (made from wheat, no clay) I noticed a marked improvement. It is scoopable, too. Available at Target and no more expensive than regular little.

Slightly OT- For soiled fabrics, carpets, etc. I recommend Anti-Icky Poo. It is not enzymed based like most, and does not require lengthy saturation. It is made from bacteria that eat anything nasty (vomit, feces, urine, rotting flesh). Not kidding about rotting flesh, either, it lists one of its potential uses as crime scene or hospital clean-up.

Very expensive, but it works. Sold at a small handfull of vets so try to contact the company to find or buy directly http://www.mistermax.com/products.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
monkeyandbunny,

I sent you a private message. just tellin ya here cuz when I did that, I found that someone had sent me one like in april and I never found it. HAHA. so I didnt know if you would either.

XOXO

Beth

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
At one point I had three cats using one litter maid. Biggest problem was the rake getting jammed on the bottom where the litter clumped from pee, actually. The motor eventually burned out.

I used Arm & Hammer kitty litter - has the baking soda already added in! Good stuff for odors, and it absorbs quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both. the litterfree is great because you just have to refill the special sanitizer every month and the litter every six months but it does have its down side besides getting the plastic litter all over and stepping on it everywhere its really very loud we have to shut the bathroom door just so we can hear the tv or other people talking in the livng room which is two rooms away from the bathroom. we decided that we needed something thats not so loud and that doesn't have the cats pulling the litter out and draggin it so far into the house. so we got the littermaid. so far so good the dust from the litter sucks because it gets everywhere and our cats seem to like it just fine the only down fall I guess is that sometimes the litter doens't always get picked up by the rake and i have to do it manually, and also that you have to purchase the special tent seperatly but I guess thats not too terrible.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Interesting.. I hadn't heard of Litterfree. I googled it and found info here: http://www.smarthome.com/6123.html#cart

How much does one cost? Seems excessive for my needs.

I have a littermaid, but am currently not using it. I find it easy enough to scoop the litter myself once a day and find it easier than removing and dumping the tray receptacle.

Brand of litter seems to make a big difference in regards to the smell. I tested every brand that our stores carry and found I liked Anderson Clump and Flush the best out of all the brands and types they sell. No dust, clumping, lasts the longests, and hides the smell the best.

I also use Gonzo rocks which seem to help quite a bit. http://www.gonzocorp.com/odor.htm Sold at Bed Bath And Beyond.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I bought one. My cat Sophie is extremely picky about using a dirty litterbox, and on days when I'd be rushing around to get somewhere and forget to scoop the box, she'd just as happily use clothes or blankets I'd left laying around. I use the Littermaid, plus 2 regular boxes for my 2 cats. It put an end to all peeing on clothes and blankets, so it was worth the price. Though if the cats or I ever manage to break it, which I'm sure we will, I'll probably just buy 2-3 more regular boxes in it's place and not spend the $ again. My basement is only used for laundry and litter boxes so I don't have to worry about space.

I like the Arm & Hammer litter epski mentioned or Fresh Step w/ Cedar for controlling odors. Yes, I realize buying the cedar litter isn't too cool, but I hate, hate, hate walking into my house and smelling kitty box odors. I think I'll check out Swheat Scoop at Target later today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.